Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Angelus
WD Stalker
Angelus

Number of posts : 11345
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books Empty
PostSubject: Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books   Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books EmptySat 01 May 2010, 2:58 am

A panel recommended Friday that a book recently pulled from the classroom at Franklin Central High School be reinstated immediately.

The decision of the panel, which included school officials and a parent, advised Superintendent Walter Bourke to allow 50 juniors in two advanced placement English classes to continue reading "Song of Solomon," a 1977 book by Nobel Prize-winning novelist Toni Morrison.

Bourke is expected to approve the return of the book to the classroom. The offended parent can file an appeal. Students were to be tested on the book in two weeks.

Students were told to return their copies of the book on Wednesday. School Board member Scott Veerkamp said Thursday that he was "appalled" by what he called the book's descriptive sex scenes, profanity, demeaning language and suicide.

"Freely it uses the "f-word," it uses racial slurs … I call it smut and garbage," he said. "Unfortunately, it is indicative of where our society has gotten to that we could read that, let alone that we put it in our school system, and allow youth to read this stuff."

Franklin Central student Lauren Haley said she read the book last year, and doesn't agree with those who think it should be banned.

"It's a great book. It's considered a literary classic. Why would we be reading it in the first place if it wasn't? In my opinion, yes, (they are overreacting)."

Parent Kimberly Reed, whose son has already read the book, said students should be exposed to Morrison's extensive body of work.

"She's a beautiful writer. I commend her. I will always support her," she said. "Anything she has, my son will always be welcome to read."

The book follows an African-American man from birth to adulthood.

Morrison won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1993. Millie Davis of the National Council of Teachers of English called Morrison's novels "modern-day classics."

Most Banned Books
1. “TTYL; TTFN; L8R, G8R (series), by Lauren Myracle
Reasons: Nudity, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group, Drugs
2. “And Tango Makes Three” by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson
Reasons: Homosexuality
3. “The Perks of Being A Wallflower,” by Stephen Chbosky
Reasons: Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Anti-Family, Offensive Language, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group, Drugs, Suicide
4. “To Kill A Mockingbird,” by Harper Lee
Reasons: Racism, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group
5. Twilight (series) by Stephenie Meyer
Reasons: Sexually Explicit, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group
6. “Catcher in the Rye,” by J.D. Salinger
Reasons: Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group
7. “My Sister’s Keeper,” by Jodi Picoult
Reasons: Sexism, Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group, Drugs, Suicide, Violence
8. “The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things,” by Carolyn Mackler
9. “The Color Purple,” Alice Walker
10. “The Chocolate War,” by Robert Cormier
Reasons: Nudity, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group
Back to top Go down
VLG.
The Voice
The Voice
VLG.

Male
Number of posts : 3474
Job/hobbies : Musician/Radio Presenter/Charity Worker
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Daniel Bryan
CM Punk
Cesaro
Roman Reigns
Adam Rose
Favorite WWE Diva : AJ Lee
Paige
Brie Bella
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Jeff Hardy
Bully Ray

Registration date : 2009-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books   Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books EmptySun 02 May 2010, 5:03 pm

To Kill A Mockingbird? We nearly did that in English. My teacher decided to go with Animal Farm instead.
Back to top Go down
The Sexy Vixen
Billion Dolla Princess
Billion Dolla Princess
The Sexy Vixen

Female
Number of posts : 28940
Job/hobbies : Daycare. I adore children.
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Triple H, Orton, MVP, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, Yoshi Tatsu, Zack Ryder
Favorite WWE Diva : Stephanie McMahon, Maryse, Mickie James, Layla, Natalya, Beth, Michelle McCool, Katie Lea, Kelly Kelly, Nikki Bella, Rosa Mendes (Victoria and Lita are my all-time faves)
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Jeff Jarrett, D'Angelo Dinero, MCMG, James Storm, AJ Styles, Amazing Red, Kiyoshi, Matt Morgan, Hernandez, Samoa Joe, Desmond Wolfe, Jeff Hardy, Kevin Nash
Favorite TNA Knockout : ODB, Christy Hemme, Jacqueline, Tara, Hamada, Daffney, Lacey Von Erich,
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books   Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books EmptySun 02 May 2010, 6:14 pm

To Kill a Mockingbird is truly a classic.

i'm shocked they didnt ban Flowers in the Attic...that book has incest all over it.

a brother and sister getting married..and having kids together

awesome book though.
Back to top Go down
http://relaxedwrestlingchat.b1.jcink.com/index.php?
LiE
World Champion
World Champion
LiE

Female
Number of posts : 1027
Job/hobbies : Rock N' Roll
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books   Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books EmptySun 02 May 2010, 6:43 pm

There's always someone bitching, it's a damn book, let it go. It's not like it'a a nasty magazinr or anything. They go all wrong when it comes to making school a better place for everyone man.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/divaxdiva
Did You Miss Her?
Hall Of Famer
Did You Miss Her?

Male
Number of posts : 9685
Job/hobbies : Stroking Zachary Quinto's Ego....
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, Santino, Edge, Christian, Cody Rhodes, Randy Orton, Sheamus, & CM Punk.
Favorite WWE Diva : Melina, Beth Phoenix, Layla, Alicia Fox, & Gail Kim.
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Daniels, MCMGs, Crimson, Amazing Redd, Eric Young, Matt Morgan, Kurt Angle, & Generation Me.
Favorite TNA Knockout : Winter, Brooke Tessmacher, Mickie James, Madison Rayne, & Angelina Love.
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books   Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books EmptySun 02 May 2010, 8:03 pm

WTF is To Kill A Mocking Bird even on that list?? We read it in school and watched the movie, and there was nothing wrong with, I was offended at all, Yeah I think what happened to the black guy was wrong, but hell that entire situation was just wrong, it doesn't matter who it happened to, it was still wrong, I paid more attention to the corruptness of the courts than to the color of the guy's skin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books   Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books Empty

Back to top Go down

Banned Book Likely To Return To Classroom & list top 10 most banned books
Page 1 of 1