Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can a racist gimmick work?

Go down 
+4
Jordan H.
Dead
Paul Wyatt
Blue Ryder
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Blue Ryder
Bossman
Bossman
Blue Ryder

Male
Number of posts : 24217
Job/hobbies : The Fruit Basket
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Cody Rhodes
Tyson Kidd
PUNK
Daniel Bryan "YES"
Zack Ryder

Flavors of The Month smile
Favorite WWE Diva : Layla
Eve
Naomi/Cameron
Tamina
Nattie

Favorite TNA Wrestler : Robert Rood *fanz*

Favorite TNA Knockout : Brooke
Madison Rayne
Tara
Sarita
Rosita

Flavors Of The Month smile
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Can a racist gimmick work? Empty
PostSubject: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? EmptyThu 03 Dec 2009, 10:46 am

Can a racist gimmick work? I thought why not. As a matter of fact, I think it has the potential of getting the amount of heat Sargent Slaughter was getting back in the day. I always find gimmicks that often push the envelope (muhammad hassan???) to be fascinating because it often gets real emotions and rise out of people because somehow people can relate to it. Racism is one of the most touchy subject in our society today, so putting something like this out there in the public I think would be a great idea.

Goes a little something like this. Have an African American wrestler (I seriously think MVP could put this off) team up with different wrestlers for months. Have a trend form from this where everytime he team up a white wrestler, he loses but when teamed with a fellow black man, he comes out victorious. Be subtle all the way and have him wonder why it is happening and then later conclude that teaming up with a white wrestler is a bad idea and that as a matter of fact, he hate all white people. So everytime he's teamed with a white guy and lose, he turns on them at the end of the match, cutting promos on why he's doing what he's doing. Not a lot of details but I think you get my drift

Imagine the heat...the hate...

WWE TV is not as edgy as it use to be...in fact, it's barely edgy anymore and because of the shitty PG era we are in, this is impossible but just think about how great something like this can be. That's my opinion... now shoot
Back to top Go down
Paul Wyatt
NCD aka Name Changing Dude
NCD aka Name Changing Dude
Paul Wyatt

Male
Number of posts : 18569
Job/hobbies : Self-Improving
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Antonio Cesaro
Bray Wyatt
Daniel Bryan
Dolph Ziggler
Sheamus
The Shield
The Usos
Wade Barrett
Favorite WWE Diva : Naomi
Natalya
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Austin Aries
Bobby Roode
Bully Ray
Eric Young
James Storm
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? EmptyThu 03 Dec 2009, 12:28 pm

It wouldn't work now bc of the PG rating and conservative fuckers..
Back to top Go down
Dead
The Sports Guy
Dead

Male
Number of posts : 31046
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? EmptyThu 03 Dec 2009, 1:35 pm

it can, but you have the idiots on forums and off forums thatll bitch that wrestling is racist. Sgt Slaughter had to wear bulletproof vests to the ring because he literally feared someone was gonna shoot him for being a Iraq ally. gimmicks like the Unamericans, La Resistance, Hassan worked cause they stuck to the anti-american schtick (spelling?). there was one anti-USA gimmick...that didnt work out too well and that was the Quebecers. theyd try getting US support by singing the national anthem but in reality was mocking it
Back to top Go down
Jordan H.
The Nexus
The Nexus
Jordan H.

Male
Number of posts : 4884
Job/hobbies : CHEYEAH!
Favorite WWE Wrestler : John Cena
Favorite WWE Diva : Kaitlyn
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Bobby Roode and/or James Storm
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? EmptyThu 03 Dec 2009, 2:05 pm

Yes, a racist gimmick could work...remember The Nation of Domination??? LAX (when they were at their best) in TNA??? The thing you would have to take into consideration would be the men perfroming those gimmicks-those characters are extremelly risque and they're dangerous, you never know if some mark will actually try to shoot them or something. I could only imagine being in The Nation in '97, because I remember when they would be in the South and St. Louis and they would get some legit heat with Confederate flags and shit. I don't think those personas would be a good idea in this day and age because they are a symbol of another time.
Back to top Go down
MVPGFX
Opener
MVPGFX

Number of posts : 193
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Edge and Christian
Favorite WWE Diva : Maryse
Favorite TNA Wrestler : lol
Favorite TNA Knockout : lol
Registration date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? EmptyThu 03 Dec 2009, 3:51 pm

Look at Kerwin White...did that work? Nah.
Back to top Go down
Dead
The Sports Guy
Dead

Male

PostSubject: Re: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? EmptyThu 03 Dec 2009, 3:54 pm

Kerwin White wasnt a racist gimmick
Back to top Go down
Pedro
Pedro supports Eve Torres
Pedro supports Eve Torres
Pedro

Male
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Cody Rhodes
Favorite WWE Diva : Eve Torres, Bella Twins
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Aj Styles
Favorite TNA Knockout : Lacey Von Erich
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? EmptyMon 07 Dec 2009, 9:20 pm

MVPGFX wrote:
Look at Kerwin White...did that work? Nah.

I don't think this really played off as racist too much but I think it didn't work because it happened around the time Eddie died so they changed Chavo's direction to keep the Guerrero name alive I guess.
Back to top Go down
janine
Melina's Barracudas
Melina's Barracudas
janine

Female
Number of posts : 5827
Job/hobbies : Animals, Wrestling, Country Music
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Edge
MVP
Chris Jericho
John Morrison
CM Punk
Tyson Kidd
DH Smith
Evan Bourne
Favorite WWE Diva : Lita
Melina
Beth
Nattie
Gail Kim
Serena

Favorite TNA Wrestler : Mr. Anderson
Kaz
Desmond Wolfe
Eric Young
Matt Morgan
AJ Styles
Favorite TNA Knockout : Daffney
Taylor Wilde
ODB
Sarita
Hamada
They keep getting rid of the good ones. :x
Registration date : 2009-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? EmptyMon 07 Dec 2009, 10:08 pm

I dunno if it will work with the PG rating. If they do one we will have to see how it goes I guess.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/janineem82
Bernard
New Talent
New Talent

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? EmptyMon 07 Dec 2009, 10:20 pm

Racist gimmicks are very insulting to all fans that watch. I hate racist gimmicks and racist angles.

They have existed before in WWE and even independent companies. I just feel that there is no need for it. Being racist to get a character some heat is cheap...and uncalled for.
Back to top Go down
Dead
The Sports Guy
Dead

Male

PostSubject: Re: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? EmptyMon 07 Dec 2009, 10:30 pm

you hating something thats a heel gimmick, means its working
Back to top Go down
Bernard
New Talent
New Talent

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? EmptyMon 07 Dec 2009, 10:36 pm

Chuck Norris wrote:
you hating something thats a heel gimmick, means its working

No shit it works...but I still think that type of gimmick is uncalled for. Instead of hating the gimmick as much...it would make me hate the fact that creative team and Vince even considered doing angles like that.

I mean we seen these gimmicks in WWE before....

But it could be a easy way to gain outrage. Say we have the Nation Of Domination insulting white people. And then someone in the audience yells the N-Word at them...right there it could start a fight between fans...it could become easy axcess in starting a controvershal thing that WWE doesn't want to deal with. It's flat out insulting and I just feel there isn't a need for it.
Back to top Go down
MVPGFX
Opener
MVPGFX

Favorite WWE Wrestler : Edge and Christian
Favorite WWE Diva : Maryse
Favorite TNA Wrestler : lol
Favorite TNA Knockout : lol
Registration date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? EmptyMon 07 Dec 2009, 11:44 pm

Chuck Norris wrote:
Kerwin White wasnt a racist gimmick

OK. Calling Shelton Benjamin a creature and dirty. Lmao.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can a racist gimmick work?   Can a racist gimmick work? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can a racist gimmick work?
Page 1 of 1