Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Two Sibling Win Lottery 2 years Apart From Same Store!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
King Silva
King of Kings
King Silva

Male
Number of posts : 32652
Favorite WWE Wrestler : ---
Current and Former:
The Rock, JoMo, Ziggler, Edge, Orton, Y2J, Hardyz, + Rhodes!
Favorite WWE Diva : -------
ALL TIME
# 1} Lita
# 2} Trish Stratus
# 3} Mickie James
# 4} Gail Kim
# 5} Michelle McCool

Favorite TNA Wrestler : ----

Favorite TNA Knockout : ---
Registration date : 2009-09-30

Two Sibling Win Lottery 2 years Apart From Same Store! Empty
PostSubject: Two Sibling Win Lottery 2 years Apart From Same Store!   Two Sibling Win Lottery 2 years Apart From Same Store! EmptySat 08 May 2010, 4:28 am

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/siblings-cindy-and-kenan-altunis-buy-winning-lottery-tickets-from-same-store/19468018?icid=main

^ Link has pics of both of them with their checks!

(May 7) -- Here's a math problem: What are the odds of two winning lottery tickets being bought two years apart from the same gas station by two siblings?

New York City resident Cindy Altunis, 32, was visiting her mother on Long Island on March 1 when they stopped in at the Northern Service Station in East Norwich. The station had sentimental value for the family. Cindy's brother, Kenan Altunis, had bought a winning $1 Million for Life lottery ticket there in 2008.

It wasn't until Cindy arrived back at her mother's home in Oyster Bay that she learned just how lucky the station was. She scratched off the $500,000,000 Extravaganza game ticket and learned that she'd bought a ticket worth more than $1 million.

"We thought, it can't be; no one could be this lucky," she told representatives at the New York Lottery. "We are very thankful for being so fortunate."

Back to the math problem. According to the New York State Lottery, the chances of winning the $1 Million for Life game are 1 in 3,528,000. The odds of winning $1 million on a $500,000,000 Extravaganza ticket are 1 in 420,000.

Stanford University statistics professor Susan Holmes bristled at the notion of trying to come up with a single ratio to determine the odds of siblings buying winning lottery tickets from the same store. Citing the dizzying amount of variables, Holmes told AOL News that calculating such odds that took into account each and every aspect was impossible.

"You can't really do a simple computation for where they buy the tickets because these are independent events," Holmes said. "Family members are going to be influenced, so that they are likely to buy their tickets at the same place a sibling bought a winning ticket, wouldn't they?"

Suffice it to say that Kenan and Cindy Altunis got very lucky, indeed, which is certainly not lost on Cindy.

She said she had no lavish plans for what to do with the money. "Yes, I could go shopping for handbags and shoes and travel to foreign countries, and I probably will do some of that, but my only plan right now is to give back to my parents. If I wasn't visiting my parents that day in March, I would not have won. God has blessed my family in so many ways."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damn are they lucky! That store is lucky too!

What do you think and do you play the lotto?
Back to top Go down

Two Sibling Win Lottery 2 years Apart From Same Store!
Page 1 of 1