Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's wrong with pro wrestling

Go down 
+3
The Sexy Vixen
Jordan H.
Paul Wyatt
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul Wyatt
NCD aka Name Changing Dude
Paul Wyatt

Male
Number of posts : 18569
Job/hobbies : Self-Improving
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Antonio Cesaro
Bray Wyatt
Daniel Bryan
Dolph Ziggler
Sheamus
The Shield
The Usos
Wade Barrett
Favorite WWE Diva : Naomi
Natalya
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Austin Aries
Bobby Roode
Bully Ray
Eric Young
James Storm
Registration date : 2008-07-31

What's wrong with pro wrestling Empty
PostSubject: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptySun 14 Nov 2010, 10:57 pm

ttp://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/shoresblog/article10015176.shtml

Chris Shore talks about a major issue in pro wrestling:

"By Chris Shore

Today I will start a multi-week look at the current state of “Sports Entertainment” from the long lens of my roots in Southern/territorial wrestling, often referred to as “rasslin.” We will examine various aspects of the current wrestling industry, both good and bad. And where I believe the industry is lacking, I will offer my humble suggestions on improvement. We start this series with a look at one of the little things that make professional wrestling entertaining. One that has been cast aside by the two major promotions.

The debut of TNA’s new belt is what finally pushed me over the edge. I have been thinking about this since John Cena was injured in late 2007. Even after he left, WWE stayed with (and continues to use) one of the worst belts in wrestling history: the spinner belt.

With Cena not only not the champion, but out for several months (granted it was far shorter than originally thought) why would WWE continue to use that belt? I didn’t have a solid answer then. It took me three more years, and the new TNA title belt, to clarify the answer.

For those who haven’t seen, the new title belt is actually built for TNA champion Jeff Hardy. So much so that a caricature of his face is on it. That would be bad enough, but the belt as a whole looks like the first draft of the WWE Divas title belt. There were other great shots taken at the design in the forum (which you should join if you haven’t already). My personal favorite: .Net member TheOne says the belt reminds him of Hordak from He-man.

All joking aside, as the “Southern Avenger” of professional wrestling this really upsets me. I grew up with the Big Gold Belt as the most cherished of prizes. I actually held the original one time as a teen, and let me tell you, big and gold are the best way to describe that belt. Ric Flair himself dropped it in my arms and it almost drove me to the ground. “Heavy?” Flair asked. I nodded as I stood awestruck at the sight of that belt in my arms. Never breaking character, Flair bellowed, “That’s why it takes a real man to wear it.” And it did.

But the Big Gold Belt wasn’t the only belt that was fantastic from that era. The original NWA United States Championship Belt, the NWA World Tag Team Championship Belts, and the original Intercontinental Championship Belt are all fine examples of great belts (to be fair, the current IC belt is not bad).

These belts were worn by giants in the industry. They signified that you were the best in the business, and that you deserved to wear 15 pounds of real gold around your waist. But more importantly, these belts were bigger than the men who carried them. When another man came along who was worthy of bearing the weight of that belt, he did so with the understanding that he did not make the belt. The belt made him.

Now, the top titles in both WWE and TNA have been replaced with belts that represent a wrestler. The belt no longer represents the pinnacle of success in that company, and that is exactly what those belts are supposed to represent. If I was a wrestler, I wouldn’t want to be the John Cena Heavyweight Champion or even the Jeff Hardy Heavyweight Champion. I would want to be the World Champion or the TNA/WWE Champion. But that’s not what the belts tell us.

Sure, there have been personal belts in the past that were fun to watch, most notably the Million Dollar Belt. But that was never considered a real title, it was winning and owning a “million dollar” belt that was the prize. And sure, Hogan defaced the WCW title belt to make it his own. But it was the fact that it was defaced that made it work so well. He didn’t have a nWo belt made, he whipped his ass with the WCW belt which fit the motif of the nWo.

Of course all of this belt trashing by the companies underscores the real problem, namely that champions don’t mean anything. Titles in both TNA and WWE have been reduced to scraps of metal, and the prestige of these once great championships are not faring much better. Sure, the wrestlers themselves try to make a big deal out of the belts, but does the casual fan even care who the champion is anymore? Does John Cena need the belt to get over? Is Kane more awesome because he wears gold around his waist? The answer to each question is the same, a resounding no.

There was a time when the NWA champion strode into town for a month and made a star out of whomever he wrestled. And if the local guy managed to unseat the champion, the locals knew that they had seen something special that they would talk about for ages. Now a title change only feels special until the next PPV, if it lasts that long. I truly believe this is one of the problems with sports entertainment.

We have gone so far towards the entertainment part that the sports part has faded to almost nothing. Honor must be restored to championships if sagging ratings and poor PPV buys are to be rectified. Of course I’m just a hillbilly from the same state that gave us the Charismatic Enigma and his Big Purple Belt (not to mention his brother the Grape Ape). But as they say down here, that’s just how I sees it.

As always, I welcome comments and suggestions atcss3238@gmail.com. Thanks for reading, and join me next week when I take a look at the current way stars are made compared to the territory days."
Back to top Go down
Jordan H.
The Nexus
The Nexus
Jordan H.

Male
Number of posts : 4884
Job/hobbies : CHEYEAH!
Favorite WWE Wrestler : John Cena
Favorite WWE Diva : Kaitlyn
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Bobby Roode and/or James Storm
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyMon 15 Nov 2010, 3:03 am

Sadly, they resorted to shit designs because it draws in money from kids and shit. The short-term championshop reigns are because people have short attention spans nowadays and don't want to see a champion hold a belt more than three months, which for me can be either a blessing or a curse.
Back to top Go down
The Sexy Vixen
Billion Dolla Princess
Billion Dolla Princess
The Sexy Vixen

Female
Number of posts : 28940
Job/hobbies : Daycare. I adore children.
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Triple H, Orton, MVP, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, Yoshi Tatsu, Zack Ryder
Favorite WWE Diva : Stephanie McMahon, Maryse, Mickie James, Layla, Natalya, Beth, Michelle McCool, Katie Lea, Kelly Kelly, Nikki Bella, Rosa Mendes (Victoria and Lita are my all-time faves)
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Jeff Jarrett, D'Angelo Dinero, MCMG, James Storm, AJ Styles, Amazing Red, Kiyoshi, Matt Morgan, Hernandez, Samoa Joe, Desmond Wolfe, Jeff Hardy, Kevin Nash
Favorite TNA Knockout : ODB, Christy Hemme, Jacqueline, Tara, Hamada, Daffney, Lacey Von Erich,
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyMon 15 Nov 2010, 3:24 am

what's wrong with pro wrestling is that i'm not in charge shifty
Back to top Go down
http://relaxedwrestlingchat.b1.jcink.com/index.php?
Jordan H.
The Nexus
The Nexus
Jordan H.

Male

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyMon 15 Nov 2010, 3:27 am

Or me.... baseball bat
Back to top Go down
Paul Wyatt
Paul Wyatt

Male
Bray Wyatt
Daniel Bryan
Dolph Ziggler
Sheamus
The Shield
The Usos
Wade Barrett
Natalya
Bobby Roode
Bully Ray
Eric Young
James Storm

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyMon 15 Nov 2010, 2:10 pm

LOL U2

Fair point, Jordan.

We don't need cena-esque championship reigns, but the business certainly does need more respectable storylines. As you have been going on about for months about WWE's product is that they're reverting back to the goofy comedy spoofs of the 80s and 90s. The ratings are in the dumps and slowly they're on the downslide because of it. After Raw like two weeks ago when PeeWee Herman was on there, I pretty much have stopped watching.
Back to top Go down
Jordan H.
The Nexus
The Nexus
Jordan H.

Male

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyMon 15 Nov 2010, 8:00 pm

Vince is going all out to force people to accept his view of how wrestling should be but he will have to reeducate himself to what happened back in 95-97 when a rival company arose and got his ass kicked, forcing him to get it together. McMahons are stubborn creatures.
Back to top Go down
Paul Wyatt
Paul Wyatt

Male
Bray Wyatt
Daniel Bryan
Dolph Ziggler
Sheamus
The Shield
The Usos
Wade Barrett
Natalya
Bobby Roode
Bully Ray
Eric Young
James Storm

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyMon 15 Nov 2010, 8:16 pm

The monopoly of the industry has made him more arrogant. Nothing stays the same forever, you'd figure that eventually some organization will come from the uprisings and do the same. Sadly, that day can't come soon enough.
Back to top Go down
Jordan H.
The Nexus
The Nexus
Jordan H.

Male

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 2:03 am

I have faith that that will happen within the decade, all the stars are aligning and everything is pointing in that direction, just a matter of time of when.
Back to top Go down
Paul Wyatt
Paul Wyatt

Male
Bray Wyatt
Daniel Bryan
Dolph Ziggler
Sheamus
The Shield
The Usos
Wade Barrett
Natalya
Bobby Roode
Bully Ray
Eric Young
James Storm

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 3:06 am

We'll see!
Back to top Go down
Dead
The Sports Guy
Dead

Male
Number of posts : 31046
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 3:07 am

Jordan H. wrote:
I have faith that that will happen within the decade, all the stars are aligning and everything is pointing in that direction, just a matter of time of when.

so, in this decade...you honestly think TNA is going to slap WWE in the face? considering TNA is the #2 promotion in the country, that is hard to believe
Back to top Go down
Jordan H.
The Nexus
The Nexus
Jordan H.

Male

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 3:11 am

I didn't say TNA and if anyone pays attention, I can't STAND TNA. They will be gone within two years. Someone else will pick up WCW's fight, it's only a matter of time.
Back to top Go down
Dead
The Sports Guy
Dead

Male
Number of posts : 31046
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 3:24 am

yeah, but you said in this current decade....currently theres TNA, ROH....some shitty version of the NWA, and a ton of indy feds that stay to a certain area. no one will be able to fight WCW's battle, at least in this decade
Back to top Go down
Paul Wyatt
Paul Wyatt

Male
Bray Wyatt
Daniel Bryan
Dolph Ziggler
Sheamus
The Shield
The Usos
Wade Barrett
Natalya
Bobby Roode
Bully Ray
Eric Young
James Storm

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 3:25 am

I should write that down somewhere. lol

Now I can't wait to see if two years is the magic number when they crash and burn.
Back to top Go down
Jordan H.
The Nexus
The Nexus
Jordan H.

Male

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 4:09 am

Dead wrote:
yeah, but you said in this current decade....currently theres TNA, ROH....some shitty version of the NWA, and a ton of indy feds that stay to a certain area. no one will be able to fight WCW's battle, at least in this decade

You never know. I have a strong belief someone will arise, and they might not even be around at the moment. I'll be proven wrong when the decade is over and things are still the way they are. Someone HAS TO or the whole business will collapse.
Back to top Go down
KTV-Time
WD Stalker
KTV-Time

Male
Number of posts : 14546
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Dolph Ziggler
Tyson Kidd
Richie Steamboat
Brett & Ted Dibiasi
John Morrison
Heath Slater
Daniel Bryan
Justin Gabriel
Favorite WWE Diva : Beth Phoenix
Natalya
Maryse
Alicia Fox
Eve Torres

Favorite TNA Wrestler : AJ Styles
Kaz
Amazing Red
Chris Sabin
Alex Shelly
Daniels
Eric Young
Orlando Jordan's Boy Toy
Favorite TNA Knockout : Sarita
Angelina Love
Taylor Wilde
Santana G.

Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 10:09 am

I will say me......I will be the savior and the greatest promoter in the world.
Back to top Go down
Sticky!!
Sticky loves Mickie! Yo soy El Jefe!
Sticky loves Mickie! Yo soy El Jefe!
Sticky!!

Male
Number of posts : 4893
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Orton
Rey
Favorite WWE Diva : Mickie James
Maria
Favorite TNA Knockout : Christy Hemme
Tara

Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyWed 22 Dec 2010, 11:45 pm

I been kinda enjoying it lately besides Immortal. There's hope.
Back to top Go down
Edgegore
Fox is the next big thing
Edgegore

Male
Number of posts : 1033
Job/hobbies : Working at the family business
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Randy "Kick em in the head" Orton
Edge
Kofi Kingston
Favorite WWE Diva : Laycool
Mickie James
Alicia Fox
Maryse

Favorite TNA Wrestler : AJ Styles

Favorite TNA Knockout : Beautiful People
Mickie James

Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling EmptyWed 29 Dec 2010, 12:11 pm

I hope TNA gets their shit together (storyline wise) and kicks WWE in the nuts. They already have the more talented roster. Hopefully 2011 will be their time to shine. Can't say enough about their wrestlers, the best of the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with pro wrestling   What's wrong with pro wrestling Empty

Back to top Go down

What's wrong with pro wrestling
Page 1 of 1