Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
King Silva
King of Kings
King Silva

Male
Number of posts : 32652
Favorite WWE Wrestler : ---
Current and Former:
The Rock, JoMo, Ziggler, Edge, Orton, Y2J, Hardyz, + Rhodes!
Favorite WWE Diva : -------
ALL TIME
# 1} Lita
# 2} Trish Stratus
# 3} Mickie James
# 4} Gail Kim
# 5} Michelle McCool

Favorite TNA Wrestler : ----

Favorite TNA Knockout : ---
Registration date : 2009-09-30

Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months Empty
PostSubject: Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months   Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months EmptyThu 24 Mar 2011, 5:23 pm

Full article from The West Australian

Wrestling heavyweight Mark Henry is used to talking his way out of a fight.

At 178 kilograms and a recognisable hardman, the WWE's strongest man regularly attracts punters picking for a scrap.

"It happened today walking down the street, it happens every day," Henry tells AAP in Sydney.

"I always joke that I've talked more people out of arse whippings than I've given them, and it's generally true."

You get a sense that Henry could chat his way through any situation. Previously an Olympian weightlifter, the Texan hulk has been wrestling for the past 15 years and is now something of an ambassador for the sport.

Nicknamed 'Sexual Chocolate' he's softly spoken and carries a light handshake for a big guy. Only when you get close to criticising the industry he loves - and pays him - does a menacing voice awaken, which you don't want to mess with.

Henry denies strongly, yet rationally, any suggestion that wrestling encourages violence, revealing a one-man mission to change the perception of a sport that was tainted by the suicide-murder of wrestler Chris Benoit's family in 2007.

He cites hospital visits where children suffering cerebral palsy or autism have reacted to him like no other, including one case where a young boy who'd been forced to drink Draino by 'friends' and hadn't spoken for three years rasped his name.

"That's what we do, and for all the people who look at us as being big guys in tight clothes and idiots or neanderthals don't know our business," Henry says.

"It's not magic, there's no smoke and mirrors, it's just blood, sweat, equity - and the more you put in the better it is."

A relative veteran at 39, Henry says he will bow out within the next 18 months to leave at the top of his game despite having "a good three years left in me".

He's fought wrestling icons such as The Undertaker, teamed up with The Rock, and will next turn his combative attentions towards helping America's less fortunate children when he retires.

In conjunction with WWE, he hopes to encourage the 80 wrestlers under franchise to focus on community projects in their respective cities, promoting anything from mentor schemes to raising the job opportunities within the industry behind the camera.

"Kids can't all be wrestlers but they need to know there are jobs and there are a lot of things they can do in the industry."

Henry believes the future of wrestling depends on its good guys sending out the right messages to protect against the barrage of bad press and criticism it receives.

He's working to educate the next generation of wrestlers coming through the ranks to carry the torch for an industry that has suffered scandals involving steroid and drug abuse.

"There's going to come a time when I'm not going to be here and I hope others have the restraint when somebody tries to talk to them sideways to be able to intellectually interject without saying 'hey man I'll punch you in the face, which sometimes I want to do because people disrespect me," he jokes.

Named the `world's strongest man' after his success in strongman competitions in 2002, Henry's unique body size and persona have allowed him a clear identity and run at fame.

But others haven't and won't be so lucky and have struggled to develop a profile in a sport far more competitive than its scripted fighting sequences suggest.

Henry claims few wrestlers are friends behind the scenes - something he hopes to work on to bring the sport forward.

"There's a lot of animosity about stupid stuff like a girl in a bar 10 years ago," Henry explains.

"Also, some guys are so similar that one will get a shot over the other and that can leave a festering sore throughout someone's career."

At the end of the day though, ego still drives wrestling and if a contender doesn't believe in himself he'll get nowhere. Henry compares the sport with the film Braveheart.

"If you win the crowd you win your freedom, it's about surviving and winning and doing honest work to feed your family."

Mark Henry will appear in Wrestlemania, which broadcasts on MAIN EVENT on April 4. He'll be back for a WWE tour of Australian and New Zealand in July.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reaction?

Will you miss him?
Back to top Go down
Paul Wyatt
NCD aka Name Changing Dude
NCD aka Name Changing Dude
Paul Wyatt

Male
Number of posts : 18569
Job/hobbies : Self-Improving
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Antonio Cesaro
Bray Wyatt
Daniel Bryan
Dolph Ziggler
Sheamus
The Shield
The Usos
Wade Barrett
Favorite WWE Diva : Naomi
Natalya
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Austin Aries
Bobby Roode
Bully Ray
Eric Young
James Storm
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months   Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months EmptyThu 24 Mar 2011, 6:48 pm

The only part of Mark that I'll miss is his days as a member of the Nation; and his heel run in 2006 on SD!
Back to top Go down
King Silva
King of Kings
King Silva

Male
Current and Former:
ALL TIME
# 1} Lita
# 2} Trish Stratus
# 3} Mickie James
# 4} Gail Kim
# 5} Michelle McCool

PostSubject: Re: Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months   Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months EmptyThu 24 Mar 2011, 7:19 pm

^ I was never a fan of his but he has been around for a long time.

So good luck to him after his career is over.
Back to top Go down
VLG.
The Voice
The Voice
VLG.

Male
Number of posts : 3474
Job/hobbies : Musician/Radio Presenter/Charity Worker
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Daniel Bryan
CM Punk
Cesaro
Roman Reigns
Adam Rose
Favorite WWE Diva : AJ Lee
Paige
Brie Bella
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Jeff Hardy
Bully Ray

Registration date : 2009-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months   Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months EmptyThu 24 Mar 2011, 8:08 pm

I like Henry, it will be sad to see him go. Although not a complete surprise.

I think its a real shame that in 15 years he has only ever held 2 championships. And neither are active titles anymore. One of the most underused performers WWE has ever had.
Back to top Go down
King Silva
King of Kings
King Silva

Male
Current and Former:
ALL TIME
# 1} Lita
# 2} Trish Stratus
# 3} Mickie James
# 4} Gail Kim
# 5} Michelle McCool

PostSubject: Re: Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months   Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months EmptyThu 24 Mar 2011, 9:14 pm

^ Yeah two belts for 15 years is some bs.

Maybe a tag title run or a US/IC run will happen before he retires.
Back to top Go down
VLG.
The Voice
The Voice
VLG.

Male
Number of posts : 3474
Job/hobbies : Musician/Radio Presenter/Charity Worker
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Daniel Bryan
CM Punk
Cesaro
Roman Reigns
Adam Rose
Favorite WWE Diva : AJ Lee
Paige
Brie Bella
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Jeff Hardy
Bully Ray

Registration date : 2009-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months   Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months EmptyFri 25 Mar 2011, 4:23 am

Yeah. I thought he would get a Tag Title run when he teamed wit MVP, but that came to nothing.
Back to top Go down
KTV-Time
WD Stalker
KTV-Time

Male
Number of posts : 14546
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Dolph Ziggler
Tyson Kidd
Richie Steamboat
Brett & Ted Dibiasi
John Morrison
Heath Slater
Daniel Bryan
Justin Gabriel
Favorite WWE Diva : Beth Phoenix
Natalya
Maryse
Alicia Fox
Eve Torres

Favorite TNA Wrestler : AJ Styles
Kaz
Amazing Red
Chris Sabin
Alex Shelly
Daniels
Eric Young
Orlando Jordan's Boy Toy
Favorite TNA Knockout : Sarita
Angelina Love
Taylor Wilde
Santana G.

Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months   Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months EmptyFri 25 Mar 2011, 5:19 am

THANK YOU GOD!!!! GO !!! GET OUT!!! SHOO!!!!

It's been to DAMN LONG!! He bored me from the get go....i wanted him gone like 5 years ago!!!

Won't miss you, have a nice life...don't let the door hit you on your ass on your way out!!
Back to top Go down
Blue Ryder
Bossman
Bossman
Blue Ryder

Male
Number of posts : 24217
Job/hobbies : The Fruit Basket
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Cody Rhodes
Tyson Kidd
PUNK
Daniel Bryan "YES"
Zack Ryder

Flavors of The Month smile
Favorite WWE Diva : Layla
Eve
Naomi/Cameron
Tamina
Nattie

Favorite TNA Wrestler : Robert Rood *fanz*

Favorite TNA Knockout : Brooke
Madison Rayne
Tara
Sarita
Rosita

Flavors Of The Month smile
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months   Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months EmptyFri 25 Mar 2011, 9:32 pm

Why not retire now? What a waste of space!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months   Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months Empty

Back to top Go down

Mark Henry to Retire Within 18 months
Page 1 of 1