Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shimmer Vol 40 Review

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bobby_says_hi
World Champion
World Champion

Male
Number of posts : 1480
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Evan Bourne, The Miz, Kaval
Favorite WWE Diva : Gail Kim, Eve Torres, LayCool
Favorite TNA Wrestler : AJ Styles, British Invasion, Ink Inc, Austin Aries, Motor City Machine Guns
Favorite TNA Knockout : Angelina Love, Sarita
Registration date : 2010-01-21

Shimmer Vol 40 Review Empty
PostSubject: Shimmer Vol 40 Review   Shimmer Vol 40 Review EmptyWed 15 Feb 2012, 8:56 am

Quote :

And I got around to watching my second Shimmer DVD, skipping ahead roughly two years to Volume 40. I looked at the main event and knew I wanted this one straight away, plus several people I knew and recognised were advertised. I can’t exactly speak for the whole promotion since this is only my second volume but it was one of the best events I’ve ever seen. Not just for women’s wrestling either.

Kellie Skater vs Taylor Made:
Kellie’s gone blonde now and looks much better, she seems a lot more entertaining than she did on Volume 26. She was entertaining with her little stuff that she threw in there and the crowd just ate up everything she did. She’s pretty over. The match was nothing special. The moves were fine and everything else was also fine but it didn’t exactly set my world on fire and I’m struggling to remember anything notable about it. Taylor Made is pretty but she’s a bit on the bland side. Match was a bit more entertaining thanks to Kellie and her personality. 6/10

Christina Von Eerie vs Mercedes Martinez:
I was really excited to see Christina in action properly since all I’d seen was her 6-person tag match in TNA. She was really over with the crowd and the atmosphere made the match really fun to watch. I actually loved this one because there was a great display of technical stuff at the start and a good story was told with Mercedes assuming a heel role for the match. Christina was very impressive, getting the crowd going and busting out some good moves. Really fun and impressive match and even I was chanting “oy-oy-oy” through the whole thing. And lol at Mercedes salsa dancing with the ref. 7.5/10

MsChif vs Melanie Cruise:
Does anyone else see the similarities between Melanie Cruise and Cheerleader Melissa? Or are they actually related and everyone knows about it but me? Obviously not as intense as MsChif’s match with LuFisto from Volume 26 but still a fairly solid match. Melanie is an absolute powerhouse and it was interesting to see MsChif take on a full face role in the match, being the one who is worked on and rallies the crowd going since she played the heel in the other match I saw. I still love her finisher which I still can’t remember the name of. As an aside, Portia Perez is hilarious on commentary. 7/10

Jessie McKay vs Athena:
I didn’t know Jessie was Australian. I don’t remember them billing her from there on Volume 26 but she was just as impressive here as she was there. She’s got a nice bubbly personality that makes her a classic babyface. It was good to see a black girl in there for some diversity as it does make a change from seeing either white or Latina wrestlers. Athena certainly lived up to her nickname and she and Jessie produced a really great match that very nearly stole the show. Athena perhaps was too impressive because the crowd were cheering for her by the end, but that mid-air stunner was a brilliant spot. Jessie of course I can’t say anything more about except I like her and really enjoy her work. Excellent match. 8.5/10

The Knight Dynasty vs Regeneration X:
Here’s a fun bit of trivia for you – Rebecca Knox is an alumnus from my wrestling school. I only found that out a week ago and I nearly choked on my popcorn when I heard Allison say her name. Too bad I couldn’t see her wrestling properly. Anyway it was good to finally see Allison Danger in action, as well as Brittani Knight. At first I thought Rebecca was Saraya because that woman does not look like a mother. Hell, she looks younger than Brittani. This was a bit of a brawl but still pretty enjoyable though it was definitely the stiffest match of the night. Those girls must have been covered in bruises for weeks afterwards. Leva Bates did seem a bit off with some of her flashy stuff but more on a Lita level as opposed to Ashley Massaro, she still looked good out there. Good enough match. 7/10

Jessica James vs Sara Del Ray:
Another Jessica? Hasn’t she heard about the One Steve Limit rule? Jessica James reminds me of AJ Lee when she was on NXT. She has the same perky cutesy genki girl movements to her and they do look similar. Good to see Sara Del Ray in a singles match and I think the phrase “force of nature” would still be a good way to describe her. She delivered what I expected, having seen a bit of her in action before but Jessica was really impressive. She played the little underdog role so well and gelled really nicely with Sara. The spot of the match just had to be that Gory Special into the dragon sleeper. Ye Gods that looked sick (in a good way). The crowd were definitely hot for Jessica, judging by their reaction when she had Sara in the guillotine. Even if she lost the match she still got a pretty good rub coming out of it. Really great match. 8/10

Cheerleader Melissa vs LuFisto vs Serena vs Portia Del Ray:
Wow, LuFisto looks great. Lost a bit of weight, more flattering outfit and a new hairstyle. She looks much healthier. Interesting set up for this match considering it was three faces and only one heel but I guess that made sure that the crowd were all against Portia. She is a heat magnet it seems and I lol’d at the “die, Portia, die” chant. This match went on a bit too long for my tastes and had a bit of a drag. I felt that LuFisto and Portia were in the ring for too long at the start but then Melissa and Serena went at it so I guess it was fairly balanced. While the girls did use their time well so it didn’t feel padded out, I still think the match could have been shorter. While I was enjoying the action and the story being told with Serena’s arm/shoulder, I found my interest waning and just wanting them to hurry things along already. Controversial finish with Portia’s foot on the bottom rope, which I assume was part of an angle. 6.5/10

Ayumi Kurihara vs Nicole Matthews:
And the first of the Joshi-involvement matches that night. Interesting to see a Japanese woman play a traditional babyface role when over in Japan there’s a lot more grey in terms of character. As expected with a Japanese woman in there this was a lot more fast-paced and hard-hitting and was one of the better matches of the night. Ayumi is a pretty solid worker and doesn’t seem to be stiff at all, unlike say Allison Danger. I’ll give credit to Nicole as well because she matched Ayumi’s wrestling and held her own. Ayumi didn’t have to slow down or dumb her style down for her, she sold her moves brilliantly and pulled off some of her own really hard-hitting stuff. Has Nicole ever wrestled in Japan? She seems to have the style down. Over a bit soon but still very enjoyable. 8/10

Seven Star Sisters* vs Daizee Haze & Tomoko Nakagawa (Shimmer Tag Team Championships):
Best. Match. Ever. Well not the best but that’s what I was chanting while I was watching this. I loved every minute of it. Obviously with three Japanese women in there you knew you were going to get something big but I never could have predicted such a spectacle. All the double teams from the faces were extraordinary and if it had been a cartoon my eyes would have kept popping out of their sockets. I think this was the longest match of the night and it was certainly the most thrilling. The final five or so minutes were just absolute chaos and I loved it. The final spot with the Tori-Plex double team counter and the finish was just a great way to end it. Amazing match and I’ve added it to my list already. 10/10

Madison Eagles* vs Ayoko Hamada (Shimmer Championship):
This was the match that convinced me to buy the DVD. Hamada was looking pretty good, she suits that long hair. It makes her look more girly. I guess given the amazing match that came before, this had a lot of hype to follow and it didn’t really deliver. The brawling at ringside I could have done without. Both women are great wrestlers so they should have just stuck to wrestling in the ring. That spot in the crowd where Madison did something that looked either like a suplex or a Brain Buster was not good. I couldn’t tell what move she was going for but she dropped Hamada right on her head and it didn’t look right. Aside from that, the actual in-ring stuff was excellent. Really intense and back-and-forth action from the two of them and it was pretty fun when they were inside the ring. Over a bit too soon and a bit of a strange finish to have Madison hit her finisher a second time straight away when the typical formula is to have the face get in one more big move before the end. Anyway still pretty entertaining. 7.5/10

So anyway a much better show than Volume 26 and I’ve definitely become a fan of a good few girls like Christina Von Eerie, Jessie McKay, the SSS and Mercedes Martinez. Anyone wanting to check Shimmer out for the first time should give this DVD a gander.
Back to top Go down
KTV-Time
WD Stalker
KTV-Time

Male
Number of posts : 14546
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Dolph Ziggler
Tyson Kidd
Richie Steamboat
Brett & Ted Dibiasi
John Morrison
Heath Slater
Daniel Bryan
Justin Gabriel
Favorite WWE Diva : Beth Phoenix
Natalya
Maryse
Alicia Fox
Eve Torres

Favorite TNA Wrestler : AJ Styles
Kaz
Amazing Red
Chris Sabin
Alex Shelly
Daniels
Eric Young
Orlando Jordan's Boy Toy
Favorite TNA Knockout : Sarita
Angelina Love
Taylor Wilde
Santana G.

Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Shimmer Vol 40 Review   Shimmer Vol 40 Review EmptyThu 16 Feb 2012, 3:47 pm

Can't remember the last time i saw Jessica James wrestle but she has something AJ lacks a bit, Jessica is very expressive, she is like a ball of energy waiting to burst. When you get a chance, find some of her tag matches with Rachel Summerlynn, you'll see, even slightly dull Rachel is entertaining because Jessica just brings soo much energy to the table.

Glad you enjoyed it, it's been a LONG time since i watched Shimmer, haven't had the time or a proper download in a LONG time.

Yes, you need to check out WSU, Jazz has had some really great matches. You'll also be introduced to one of my favorite former tag teams the Belle Saints (Tina San Antonio and Marti Belle) great really talented girls
Back to top Go down
bobby_says_hi
World Champion
World Champion

Male
Favorite TNA Wrestler : AJ Styles, British Invasion, Ink Inc, Austin Aries, Motor City Machine Guns

PostSubject: Re: Shimmer Vol 40 Review   Shimmer Vol 40 Review EmptyFri 17 Feb 2012, 2:14 pm

yeah i wanna see those two in action, mostly because Marti Belle is hilarious to follow on Twitter. any DVDs you can recommend?
Back to top Go down
KTV-Time
WD Stalker
KTV-Time

Male
Number of posts : 14546
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Dolph Ziggler
Tyson Kidd
Richie Steamboat
Brett & Ted Dibiasi
John Morrison
Heath Slater
Daniel Bryan
Justin Gabriel
Favorite WWE Diva : Beth Phoenix
Natalya
Maryse
Alicia Fox
Eve Torres

Favorite TNA Wrestler : AJ Styles
Kaz
Amazing Red
Chris Sabin
Alex Shelly
Daniels
Eric Young
Orlando Jordan's Boy Toy
Favorite TNA Knockout : Sarita
Angelina Love
Taylor Wilde
Santana G.

Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Shimmer Vol 40 Review   Shimmer Vol 40 Review EmptyFri 17 Feb 2012, 2:18 pm

I say order WSu's up coming I-PPV...Marti Belle vs. Tina San Antonio......is a MUST see.

but for a good Jessica James match, check out Jessica James vs. Amanda Fox if you ever get a chance....really really loved that match.

it's been a good 2/3 years since i've watched a wrestling DVD so i might have to refresh my brain for that.
Back to top Go down
bobby_says_hi
World Champion
World Champion

Male

PostSubject: Re: Shimmer Vol 40 Review   Shimmer Vol 40 Review EmptyFri 17 Feb 2012, 2:29 pm

if i can offer you something, here's two girls i train with though it does seem like i'm showing this video to everyone these days. their highlights are at around 9:42

http://vimeo.com/33833398

thanks for the feedback, will get checking
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shimmer Vol 40 Review   Shimmer Vol 40 Review Empty

Back to top Go down

Shimmer Vol 40 Review
Page 1 of 1