Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Get to Know the Oscar Nominees for Best Actor

Go down 
AuthorMessage
King Silva
King of Kings
King Silva

Male
Number of posts : 32652
Favorite WWE Wrestler : ---
Current and Former:
The Rock, JoMo, Ziggler, Edge, Orton, Y2J, Hardyz, + Rhodes!
Favorite WWE Diva : -------
ALL TIME
# 1} Lita
# 2} Trish Stratus
# 3} Mickie James
# 4} Gail Kim
# 5} Michelle McCool

Favorite TNA Wrestler : ----

Favorite TNA Knockout : ---
Registration date : 2009-09-30

Get to Know the Oscar Nominees for Best Actor  Empty
PostSubject: Get to Know the Oscar Nominees for Best Actor    Get to Know the Oscar Nominees for Best Actor  EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 9:46 am

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20311937_20572783,00.html#21115590

All 5 of these men are nominated for Best Actor at this year's Academy Awards [which is later today!]. Here is a detailed bio of all 5 of them.

Get to Know the Oscar Nominees for Best Actor  Brad_pitt_in_moneyball_a_l
BEST ACTOR NOMINEE
Brad Pitt in Moneyball
Role: Real-life Oakland A's general ­manager Billy Beane, who revolutionized the way players are scouted.
Oscar History: Pitt, who's a nominated producer of Moneyball, scored a Best Actor nod for 2008's The Curious Case of ­Benjamin Button and was nominated for ­Supporting Actor for 1995's 12 Monkeys.
History Lesson: For ­inspiration, Pitt and ­director Bennett Miller looked to a time when filmmakers were as suspicious of the established rules as Beane is. ''I love this ­character because it's ­reminiscent to me of '70s films,'' says Pitt. ''Looking back at my favorites, it's All the President's Men, it's Dog Day Afternoon. In the late '80s and '90s, we got caught up in this idea that a character had to learn a lesson and be someone else in the end. If you look at the '70s films I was weaned on, it's not [the character] that changed, it's the world around them — just sent it off its axis a few degrees. That's what I saw in Moneyball.''
Diamonds Aren't His Best Friend: ''I'm a big sports fan, but not ­necessarily baseball,'' Pitt admits. So why take this part? ''It was something about these guys questioning from ground zero the way we do things and tearing that apart and starting from scratch. And then going up against a system that became quite antagonistic to that ­questioning. I'm a sucker for an underdog story.''
Up Next: Pitt stars in the zombie-apocalypse flick World War Z, which opens Dec. 21, and mobster drama Cogan's Trade, due at some point in 2012. —Rob Brunner

Get to Know the Oscar Nominees for Best Actor  Jean-dujardin-a_1375541gm-t
BEST ACTOR NOMINEE
Jean Dujardin in The Artist
Role: George Valentin, a suave but prideful silent-film star whose career is rocked by the advent of sound.
Oscar History: First nomination.
The Language of Silence: While Dujardin is almost completely silent throughout The Artist, the actor still had to speak his lines while being filmed. But since the film used title cards to relate the ­dialogue, it didn't matter what ­language he spoke. ''Sometimes I acted in English, ­sometimes in French,'' he says. ''And sometimes I was just speaking ­complete gibberish.''
La Cité des Anges: ­Dujardin visited Los Angeles for the very first time to shoot The Artist. Though he was busy filming on the Warner Bros. studio lot, he fit in some sightseeing. ''It was my first time as an actor and as a tourist,'' says Dujardin. ''But after two weeks, you appropriate the city and it's great to just drive around. And turning right on red— oh, how I loved that.''
Actor Without Borders: Dujardin is already a big-name star in his native France, but now that he's attained ­recognition across the Atlantic, is he tempted by the bright lights of ­Hollywood? Maybe. ''I want to continue to work in France, to dig deeper into French ­cinema,'' he says, ''but if there are good offers coming out of the States, then why not?''
Up Next: He'll play a spy in the French espionage thriller Möbius. —Keith Staskiewicz

Get to Know the Oscar Nominees for Best Actor  Georgeclooney
BEST ACTOR NOMINEE
George Clooney in The Descendants
Role: Matt King, the Hawaii dad who learns that his newly ­comatose wife (and mother of his two daughters) had been cheating on him.
Oscar History: Clooney, who shares an Adapted Screenplay nod this year for The Ides of March, won the Best Supporting Actor prize for 2005's Syriana. He's received two previous Best Actor nominations, for 2007's Michael Clayton and 2009's Up in the Air, as well as Director and Original Screenplay nods for 2005's Good Night, and Good Luck.
Second Time's the Charm: The Descendants wasn't the first Alexander Payne film in which Clooney hoped to participate. ''Alexander just hasn't made a bad film,'' he says. ''And he wasn't smart enough to see how good I would have been for Sideways.'' (Though Clooney ­expressed interest in starring in that 2004 comedy, Payne cast Thomas Haden Church, who ended up scoring an Oscar nod himself.)
Running Time: In one of The Descendants' most memorable scenes, Clooney awkwardly (and socklessly) sprints around his neighborhood in boat shoes. ''I'm a jock, I play basketball, so running like a goose down the street really screwed with my masculinity,'' he admits. ''I did a Q&A and some guy goes, 'Do you really run like that?' I was so offended!''
Up Next: He costars with Sandra Bullock in ­Children of Men director Alfonso Cuarón's ­space-travel thriller Gravity, due Nov. 21. —Dave Karger

Get to Know the Oscar Nominees for Best Actor  Tinker-tailor-soldier-spy1
BEST ACTOR NOMINEE
Gary Oldman in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Role: George Smiley, the brilliant MI6 spymaster created by author John le Carré.
Oscar History: First nomination. Can you believe it?
Spy vs. Spy: Tinker may take place in the world of British espionage, but Oldman says his character has little in common with the U.K.'s best-known secret agent. ''This is far removed from the world of James Bond—it's closer to the old Harry Palmer movies with Michael Caine—and I think that's what's so refreshing about the drama. Because we set it in the [1970s], it can't rely on gizmos and gadgets. It's real old-school spying: reel-to-reel tape recorders and bugs in chandeliers.''
Director's Cut: Oldman says he was surprised to learn he was director Tomas Alfredson's first choice to play Smiley. ''It was an almost supernatural event because nowadays you are always one of five actors on the list. But he was really just dead keen on me,'' recalls the actor. And after a meeting over ­breakfast in L.A., Oldman decided the feeling was mutual. ''I liked his take on the material, and he's got a great sense of humor. I thought, 'You know what? I could spend 12 weeks with this guy.' ''
Up Next: After heading back to Gotham as ­Commissioner Gordon in The Dark Knight Rises (July 20), Oldman will star opposite Shia LaBeouf and Tom Hardy in the ­Prohibition-era drama The Wettest County (Aug. 31). —Adam Markovitz

Get to Know the Oscar Nominees for Best Actor  6a00d8341c630a53ef015437048dd6970c-600wi
BEST ACTOR NOMINEE
Demián Bichir in A Better Life
Role: Carlos Galindo, a Mexican-born gardener living in L.A. and dealing with dual stresses: trying to keep his teenage son away from the local gang culture while avoiding possible deportation himself.
Oscar History: First nomination.
Becoming Carlos: ''We dyed my mustache black, and I had to tan a lot because I'm a lot whiter than the character,'' says Bichir, a major star in his native Mexico who's best known in the U.S. for a recurring role on Showtime's Weeds. ''Even when we weren't shooting, I was dressing as a gardener. Because you don't want to separate yourself from the character, not even for a second.'' His altered appearance as ­Carlos had a bonus ­personal side effect: ''My girlfriend, she's the one that enjoyed it more than anybody else,'' he laughs. ''It was like having many different boyfriends.''
Movin' On Up: For one of the film's most memorable scenes, Bichir scaled a tall palm tree without the aid of machinery. ''In any group of gardeners, there's one guy who does that,'' he says. ''He has to be the most fit, he has to be fearless, and he has to believe in God. Because you're really risking your life.''
Up Next: He plays the attorney for Salma Hayek's cartel in Oliver Stone's drug drama Savages (Sept. 28). —Dave Karger
Back to top Go down

Get to Know the Oscar Nominees for Best Actor
Page 1 of 1