Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Damien Sandow On Being Trained By Kowalski, His Cartwheel etc

Go down 
AuthorMessage
King Silva
King of Kings
King Silva

Male
Number of posts : 32652
Favorite WWE Wrestler : ---
Current and Former:
The Rock, JoMo, Ziggler, Edge, Orton, Y2J, Hardyz, + Rhodes!
Favorite WWE Diva : -------
ALL TIME
# 1} Lita
# 2} Trish Stratus
# 3} Mickie James
# 4} Gail Kim
# 5} Michelle McCool

Favorite TNA Wrestler : ----

Favorite TNA Knockout : ---
Registration date : 2009-09-30

Damien Sandow On Being Trained By Kowalski, His Cartwheel etc Empty
PostSubject: Damien Sandow On Being Trained By Kowalski, His Cartwheel etc   Damien Sandow On Being Trained By Kowalski, His Cartwheel etc EmptyMon 26 Nov 2012, 8:35 pm

In March, Damien Sandow appeared during a Florida Championship Wrestling show at the Miami-Dade County Fair.

Eight months later the “intellectual savior of the masses” elevated from WWE developmental to the main roster and finds himself on Team Dolph Ziggler in the WWE Survivor Series PPV on Sunday, Nov. 18 from Indianapolis.

Sandow’s scholarly persona isn’t that far removed from the man himself, considering his stellar academic performance attending Worcester State University in Massachusetts. He says he dual majored in psychology and urban studies.

“My intelligence is something that I’ve always adapted to whatever aspect of life,” Sandow said. “In anything, one must use their mind when they go forward and embark on any venture in life. I simply adapted that to WWE.”

The Aristotle of WWE began his journey into sports entertainment with Killer Kowalski. The legend also trained the likes of Triple H and Kofi Kingston.

“That was tremendous,” Sandow remembered. “The knowledge that he gave me as far as foundation goes and an outlook on how you approach things in this industry is something that still serves me very well today. I apply it on a daily basis.”

Sandow’s meteoric rise didn’t necessarily happen overnight. He signed his first contract with WWE in 2002 through Ohio Valley Wrestling, the company’s former feeder group. After four years, Sandow was promoted to SmackDown as Aaron “Idol” Stevens with KC James. The two were paired with Michelle McCool and dubbed the “Teachers Pets.” Despite initial success, the stint didn’t last long. He was returned to OVW where he was eventually relegated to the independent scene, before another opportunity. That trend continued until he was signed to FCW in 2010. Sandow is proof positive that perseverance and determination can pay off.

“Timing is everything,” he said. “I did not think the WWE Universe was quite ready for my message, so I simply went and sharpened my sword of intellect. Then when I felt the WWE Universe was ready, I came back at WrestleMania and began my crusade of enlightenment.”

For the arrogant performer, his inspiration comes from the world itself.

“Have you looked at society?,” Sandow said, morphing into his WWE character. “I mean look at these people. These people need someone to show them the right way. I am the beacon of light and harbor of iniquity. I simply want to be the light that people steer their lost ships by at night, thus becoming better people.”

A few of his trademarks and mannerisms are throwbacks to flamboyant WWE Hall of Famer Gorgeous George. Among them is his cartwheel, which he calls “Rotation of Illumination.”

“It’s simply a physical display of how well-rounded I am inside and outside the ring,” Sandow said. “It is intelligence meets balance meets physical fitness. It is simply the only thing that can truly display how well rounded a competitor I am.”

Fans have compared Sandow to former WWE superstar and manager “The Genius” Lanny Poffo.

“I simply have to deal with the crusade at hand and enlightenment of everyone,” Sandow said. “The Genius Lanny Poffo as we know him, is someone who recites poetry. I do not recite poetry. I simply recite statements. My verbiage is geared more toward people enriching their lives. So I do what I do for the people.”

Sandow’s colorful verbal barrage mirrors his outlandish battle attire.

“The [pink] tights match my purple kneepads. That is why I wear them,” Sandow said. “The robe is made of Egyptian cotton with a secret lining that keeps my body at the ideal temperature for physical activity, thus reducing the risk of injury. It’s the type of strategy and thought I put into everything. That we as Team Ziggler have put into our match this Sunday [Nov. 18] at Survivor Series as we go up against Team Foley. It’s something you don’t want to miss…”

Another current member of Team Ziggler is Sandow’s tag team partner Cody Rhodes. The two team in the tag division as Team Rhodes Scholars.

“Cody Rhodes is the only person in WWE who I believe is worthy of teaming with me,” Sandow said. “He is simply someone who embodies the intelligence, the physical fitness and the reason that make us compatible. We have common enemies in Team Hell No [WWE tag champs Daniel Bryan and Kane], so we must join forces in order to combat them.”

Rhodes was diagnosed with a strained shoulder and possible concussion earlier this week, stemming from a match with Team Hell No during a “Main Event” taping for ION television.

“I can tell you Cody is resting comfortably and the necessary steps are being taken to protect both the best interests of Team Ziggler, which will be competing this Sunday [Nov. 18] at Survivor Series and Cody Rhodes,” Sandow said.

He says the 26th Survivor Series, a WWE classic, provides another platform for his intellectual prowess.

“Rest assured, my message will be heard,” Sandow said.

On his prediction for the future, the self-professed “intellectual savior of the masses” plays coy.

“What great general or strategist reveals his master-plan,” Sandow said. “Can you tell me one from history?

“…The thing is, if I laid out my goals, I would be giving out my strategy, which I will not do. However, I assure you that this upcoming Sunday [Nov. 18] at Survivor Series is going to be a pivotal part in my crusade of enlightenment. So I am very focused on this Sunday.

“Then after Survivor Series, we have the Royal Rumble, which of course will lead into WrestleMania. I assure you that all these are part of my plan and crusade. The only way to truly find out what I’m doing is to stay tuned. I suggest you start staying tuned by getting Survivor Series this upcoming Sunday [Nov. 18].

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/16/v-fullstory/3099872/wwes-damien-sandow-smartens-masses.html#storylink=cpy

--------------------------------

He calls himself the “Intellectual Savior” of WWE.

His mission, he boasts, is to bring enlightenment to the unwashed masses.

It’s a gimmick, of course, but one that draws big-time heat and could potentially make Damien Sandow a top-tier heel in World Wrestling Entertainment.

The 6-4, 240-pound Sandow possesses many of the qualities that WWE looks for in its top talent. He’s got the size and the look along with the ring chops and mic ability.

His gimmick is old school, a combination of Lanny “The Genius” Poffo and Hunter Hearst Helmsley, but Sandow gives it an updated touch. He uses his verbose vocabulary to belittle opponents and talk down to fans. It’s an instant recipe for drawing the ire of the crowd.

Sandow, who will be part of a Smackdown event Dec. 4 at the North Charleston Coliseum, routinely begins his promos with a heat-drawing spiel: “Allow me to beg your indulgence. My name is Damien Sandow, and I’m here to help all of you.” He even holds the mic like a champagne glass during promos.

Sandow, who doesn’t break character during interviews, says his ring persona is a reflection of his own personality.

“I believe the reason this (the character) is working is because it’s actually not a character. It’s pretty much my own personality. It’s my views on society, but now I have the opportunity to share them with the world via the platform of WWE.”

The obnoxious character fans love to hate on TV, however, is actually a hard-working, 11-year veteran who has put in the time and effort to master his craft.
No overnight sensation

This isn’t Damien Sandow’s first rodeo.

Sandow, whose real name is Aaron Steven Haddad, is a Massachusetts native of Arab-American descent who first landed a WWE developmental contract in 2002 after earning strong reviews in a series of tryout matches. He made it to the main roster in 2006 as a character named Idol Stevens.

With partner KC James, he earned a crack at the WWE tag-team title held then by Brian Kendrick and Paul London at the 2006 No Mercy pay-per-view. Dubbed “Teacher’s Pets,” the two were managed by former WWE diva Michelle McCool (now Mrs. Mark “Undertaker” Calaway).

Not long after, though, Sandow was sent back to Ohio Valley Wrestling, WWE’s Louisville-based developmental territory,

Discouraged but not deterred, Sandow worked his way back into the WWE fold in 2010 and was sent to Florida Championship Wrestling. It was there that he introduced the Damien Sandow moniker.

Known as “Colonel” Damien Sandow, this time with a militant, beret-wearing gimmick, he managed to win the FCW tag-team belts with current WWE performer Titus O’Neill of The Primetime Players.

Again drawing the attention of company talent scouts, Sandow made his WWE in-ring re-debut in May as part of the Smackdown roster. Offering physical and spiritual enlightenment to the WWE Universe, Sandow assumed the rule of WWE’s martyr.

Clad in ring robe, pink trunks and purple kneepads, he snobbishly proclaimed himself “the avenging sword of taste and decency in the WWE,” denouncing social media and pop culture.

Already a management favorite, Sandow has drawn heady praise from colleagues and fans.

Former wrestling star and WWE trainer Dr. Tom Prichard first noticed Sandow when he was a rookie learning the ropes at the late Killer Kowalski’s Chaotic Wrestling school in Massachusetts.

“He had a ton of potential,” says Prichard. “I helped get him on some dark matches and always believed he had something to offer. He eventually got signed to a developmental deal and went to Louisville.”

“It went well,” Sandow says of his OVW experience, “but the time was not right, and timing is a big issue when it comes to anything.”

Veering back in the direction of his arrogant but scholarly persona, Sandow adds, “I think the time for these people to receive enlightenment is now. Thus I am on the main roster now.”

“Damien Sandow has a bright future,” says Prichard, who is considered one of the top trainers in the business. “I’ve been impressed with him from Day One. Given the opportunity, he will go as far as he desires in this business.”
Team Rhodes Scholars

WWE’s self-professed champion of civility currently is hitting his stride as part of a tag team with Cody Rhodes called Team Rhodes Scholars.

The two have been teaming up for less than three months, but they already have established themselves as the top contender for the WWE tag title currently held by Kane and Daniel Bryan.

“Cody and I were two people with a common goal,” says Sandow. “The crassness of Kane and Daniel Bryan needed to be stopped. Cody is the only person who is intellectually compatible with me. I think that it’s a very good pairing, and we shall continue.”

Rhodes suffered a concussion and shoulder injury during a recent match with Kane and Bryan in Cleveland, and was held out of last weekend’s Survivor Series pay-per-view.

“I know Cody was recently struck down by Kane, but rest assured he’s recovering nicely, and Team Rhodes Scholars shall press on,” Sandow promises.

Tag teams in WWE traditionally have played a backseat role to the singles division where there is greater upward mobility in the company. Some insiders have tabbed the 30-year-old Sandow as world championship material.

“He’s entertaining and credible in the ring no matter who he faces,” says Prichard. “I like him and Cody as a team, but Sandow is a singles performer. Let him be him, and he will be successful.”

“The world title would be good because then I can champion the cause of the world,” says Sandow, once again morphing into his WWE character. “It’s something I’m already doing. I’m championing the cause of the enlightenment of the world. The world heavyweight title would simply be a token of my status and a token of my mission which is to better us as a planet.”

“Would I say he has a chance of winning ‘the big one?’ Yes, I would,” says Prichard. “He’s talented, but even more so, he’s smart and understands how to do business these days. Stranger things have happened, and there is no reason Damien Sandow couldn’t or shouldn’t be a main-eventer and carry the world or WWE championship one day very soon.”
Old-school gimmick

Sandow has heard all the comparisons to former WWE star Lanny Poffo’s “Genius” gimmick. There have even been comparisons to the flamboyant Gorgeous George.

Sandow’s presentation, he boasts, is designed for the greater good.

“I believe the intellectual thing will draw some comparisons, but when you really look at them, they’re really two very different things. There’s a cartwheel which was done by him as opposed to the Rotation of Illumination that I do. He would speak in rhyme whereas every time I speak I am trying to better society as a whole and trying to make my message heard by all the people so that they can enrich their own lives. So with me there’s a lot at stake. By that I mean the survival of us as a people.”

No cookie-cutter heel, Sandow’s well-defined character also is reminiscent of Triple H’s original Hunter Hearst Helmsley persona.

“We both were trained by Killer Kowalski,” says Sandow, who notes that the experience was “extremely positive.” “But I think if you look at the history of our business, you can draw comparisons to a lot of guys that have come before. There’s the Gorgeous George element and so many other things. I think what makes people successful is just being able to be themselves. Throughout the course of time there’s been so many characters and personas, and there’s going to be comparisons drawn. However I believe I am the first-ever ‘Intellectual Savior of the Masses.’”
‘Changing Lives’

Sandow says he is proof that hard work and determination can pay off in the end. It has allowed him, he says, to conduct his crusade of enlightenment.

“I am the living example of setting a goal and attaining your goal. There’s a lot to be learned from observing me,” says Sandow, who attended Worcester State University in Massachusetts. “As one changes and progresses, their dreams change and progress. Now my dream is to enlighten everyone, and that’s what I’m working on now, and I certainly will attain it.”

His biggest thrill in the wrestling, he says, is “changing people’s lives.”

“People can take the self-gratification route of the admiration of thousands and thousands of people, but with me there’s much more at stake. The betterment of society as a whole. The survival of us as a nation and as a people. I get a thrill in changing people’s lives. When someone is finally enlightened by me, that is the ultimate prize.”

Sandow says he is looking forward to the North Charleston show, and quite naturally, he’s got some advice for local fans.

“Just listen to everything that I have to say,” he says, sharing his unique brand of wisdom.

And, better yet, all for a fraction of the cost of a college education.”

“You’ll see title matches, everything,” he continues. “Above all, you’ll become enlightened. There’s thousands and thousands of dollars in student loans to get a college education, and I encourage everyone to get a college education. But for the small price of a WWE ticket, you can receive enlightenment. People can’t afford to miss this.”

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20121125/PC20/121129697/1268/mooneyham-column-damien-sandow-uses-smarts-skill-to-climb-up-the-wwe-ladder
Back to top Go down

Damien Sandow On Being Trained By Kowalski, His Cartwheel etc
Page 1 of 1