Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
King Silva
King of Kings
King Silva

Male
Number of posts : 32652
Favorite WWE Wrestler : ---
Current and Former:
The Rock, JoMo, Ziggler, Edge, Orton, Y2J, Hardyz, + Rhodes!
Favorite WWE Diva : -------
ALL TIME
# 1} Lita
# 2} Trish Stratus
# 3} Mickie James
# 4} Gail Kim
# 5} Michelle McCool

Favorite TNA Wrestler : ----

Favorite TNA Knockout : ---
Registration date : 2009-09-30

4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!  Empty
PostSubject: 4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!    4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!  EmptyMon 08 Jul 2013, 1:14 am

4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!  Despicable-me-2-hit-lone-ranger-underperforms

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-lone-ranger-581303

SUNDAY UPDATE: Universal's "Despicable Me 2" nearly triples the dismal $48.9 million earned by the Johnny Depp Western, posting a dazzling five-day North American debut of $142.1 million.

Failing to fire off a silver bullet, Disney's The Lone Ranger posted a grim five-day debut of $48.9 million, far from enough to make up for the high cost of the Johnny Depp-Armie Hammer Western.

Conversely, Universal and Illumination Entertainment's Despicable Me 2 dazzled, posting a five-day debut of $142.1 million -- one of the best showings of all time for an animated film and just ahead of what Toy Story 3 earned in its first five days. The 3D animated family film fueled one of the best July Fourth holiday stretches on record in terms of overall box-office revenue.

Overseas, Despicable 2 is also looking like a mega hit. The movie grossed $88.8 million from 45 markets over the weekend for an early international total of $151.1 million and worldwide cume of $293.2 million. The sequel placed No. 1 in 42 of the 45 countries.

Despite Depp's popularity at the international box office, Lone Ranger turned in a soft performance as it began rolling out overseas, grossing $29.4 million from 24 markets for a worldwide opening total of $73.2 million. Westerns have always been a tough sell with foreign audiences.

Coming in No. 3 in North America after Despicable 2 and Lone Ranger was 20th Century Fox's The Heat, starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. The R-rated comedy held well in its second weekend, falling only 36 percent to $25 million for a stellar domestic total of $86.4 million.

Lone Ranger -- costing at least $250 million to produce -- marks the summer's third major disappointment after Will Smith tentpole After Earth and Jamie Foxx and Channing Tatum's White House Down -- both Sony pics -- and is almost certain to pose a major financial headache for Disney. White House Down fell to No. 6 in its second weekend, falling 47 percent to $11.2 million for a domestic total of $50.1 million.

With Lone Ranger, Disney had hoped to whip up the same magic that producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Gore Verbinski and Depp created with the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, which played heavily to families, as well as adults and teenagers. In this latest film, Depp applies his penchant for playing quirky characters to the role of Tonto (Depp says he is part Native American), while Hammer plays the Lone Ranger.

At one point, before Verbinski began shooting, the plug was almost pulled on Lone Ranger because of budget concerns. The filmmakers agreed to bring the budget down to $215 million, but the price tag steadily rose once shooting began (all the stunts are real). Another issue is the film's lengthy running time of 149 minutes.

Lone Ranger suffered in appealing mostly to older moviegoers, with 58 percent of the audience over the age of 35, including 24 percent over the age of 50 percent. Moviegoers under the age of 18 only made up 16 percent of the audience, while males made up 57 percent.

Despicable 2 is easily walking away with the glory, both domestically and internationally.

In North America, the family pic scored the biggest five-day opening for an animated film and the top three-day weekend opening for an animated film debuting in July ($82.5 million). It also score the top Thursday gross in history behind Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen ($29.1 million). And on Wednesday, Universal's sequel scored the third-highest opening day for an animated feature behind Toy Story 3 and Shrek the Third (both those films opened on a Friday).

Despicable 2 skewed female (60 percent), while 55 percent of the audience was under the age of 25. Hispanics made up 27 percent of the audience.

Overseas, the animated tentpole scored the biggest opening ever for an animated film in Latin America, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, South Africa and Vietnam and it is among the top openings for an animated film in every market.

In the toon, Steve Carell returns to voice the role of Gru, master of the minions, while Kristen Wiig voices the role of Agent Lucy Wilde.

The third new entry of the July Fourth holiday frame was Summit Entertainment's stand-up comedy film Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain, which turned in a solid $17.4 million debut (it's only playing in 876 theaters). Summit succeeded in providing counter-programming for African-American audiences as well as comedy fans. The film, from Codeblack Films and HartBeat Productions, was shot live at New York's Madison Square Garden.

At the specialty box office, Fox Searchlight's The Way, Way Back got off to a strong start, grossing $575,000 from 19 theaters for a location average of $30,263, the best of the weekend. Opening Friday, the coming-of-age dramedy, produced by OddLot Entertainment, was directed by Nat Faxon and Jim Rash and stars Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney and Sam Rockwell.
Back to top Go down
Serial
World Champion
World Champion
Serial

Male
Number of posts : 2062
Job/hobbies : At home, drawing pictures of mountain tops.
Favorite WWE Wrestler : CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Santino Marella, The Shield.
Favorite WWE Diva : AJ, Summer Rae, Rosa Mendes, Paige.
Favorite TNA Wrestler : AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe, TJ Perkins.
Favorite TNA Knockout : Taryn Terrell, Velvet Sky, Brooke Tessmacher, Christy Hemme.
Registration date : 2010-12-23

4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!    4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!  EmptyMon 08 Jul 2013, 1:29 am

Lone Ranger had plenty of issues during production and the terrible reviews really didn't help it. Disney does well when it comes to animation and/or Marvel related projects, but some of their other big budget work is hit or miss. And when Disney misses, it's usually around a quarter-billion dollar strikeout.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dafk.net/what/
King Silva
King of Kings
King Silva

Male
Number of posts : 32652
Favorite WWE Wrestler : ---
Current and Former:
The Rock, JoMo, Ziggler, Edge, Orton, Y2J, Hardyz, + Rhodes!
Favorite WWE Diva : -------
ALL TIME
# 1} Lita
# 2} Trish Stratus
# 3} Mickie James
# 4} Gail Kim
# 5} Michelle McCool

Favorite TNA Wrestler : ----

Favorite TNA Knockout : ---
Registration date : 2009-09-30

PostSubject: Re: 4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!    4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!  EmptyMon 08 Jul 2013, 1:55 am

Yeah Disney should really try to stick with animated films because a lot of their recent non animated films have cost them a LOT of money..

I had NO interest in this Lone Ranger film. I was never a fan of the original stuff since it was way before my time and this one just looked stupid as fuck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!    4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!  Empty

Back to top Go down

4th Of July 2013 Box Office: Despicable Me 2 Earns $140+ Million; Lone Ranger Bombs!
Page 1 of 1