Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nintendo 2DS: Hands-On Impressions + Comparisons [Pics]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
King Silva
King of Kings
King Silva

Male
Number of posts : 32652
Favorite WWE Wrestler : ---
Current and Former:
The Rock, JoMo, Ziggler, Edge, Orton, Y2J, Hardyz, + Rhodes!
Favorite WWE Diva : -------
ALL TIME
# 1} Lita
# 2} Trish Stratus
# 3} Mickie James
# 4} Gail Kim
# 5} Michelle McCool

Favorite TNA Wrestler : ----

Favorite TNA Knockout : ---
Registration date : 2009-09-30

Nintendo 2DS: Hands-On Impressions + Comparisons [Pics] Empty
PostSubject: Nintendo 2DS: Hands-On Impressions + Comparisons [Pics]   Nintendo 2DS: Hands-On Impressions + Comparisons [Pics] EmptyThu 29 Aug 2013, 12:16 am

Nintendo 2DS: Hands-On Impressions + Comparisons [Pics] B18ce44ac898e6ea003975616f90dc18

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/53839/nintendo-2ds-hands-on-impressions-release-date-price/

Nintendo is known as a company that's constantly reviewing its hardware; whether that's tinkering away on brand new hardware or refining current designs, Nintendo openly admit that something is always underway. Despite that knowledge, a new hardware iteration is always a pleasant surprise and it's no different with the 2DS.

What Is The 2DS?
Put simply, the 2DS is a streamlined version of the 3DS. The '2' makes it immediately obvious that the 3D screen is gone. So what we have is a 3DS without the 3D screen. The lack of 3D aside, the other significant change is an aesthetic one. The clamshell design is gone, with Nintendo opting for a flat, Game & Watch-style design.

How Much Is The 2DS?
The 2DS pricing will be set by retailers. GAME is currently selling it for £109.99. There will inevitably be various software bundles, both official and unofficial.

When Is The 2DS Out?
The 2DS hits the UK on 12 October, the same day as Pokemon X and Y.

Who Is The 2DS Aimed At?
With such a low expected price this new iteration seems to be aimed squarely at a younger audience and a mass-market demographic. With Animal Crossing: New Leaf spreading like wildfire via word of mouth, and with Pokemon X and Y hitting on the same day as the new hardware, this is the perfect proposition for families and people who found the price of the hardware too steep previously.

That said (and we'll go into more detail on this in a second), Nintendo enthusiasts will want this hardware too.

I've Got A 3DS / 3DS XL. Do I Need A 2DS?

You don't need one but the chances are that some of you will get one anyway.

Whether by design or by accident, the 2DS has a strong retro feel to it. The White & Red design in particular smacks of Game & Watch, the Famicom and the limited-edition Famicom GBA. I might never even switch it on but I would really like to own one, so that says a lot.

Nintendo 2DS: Hands-On Impressions + Comparisons [Pics] Image_60348_thumb_wide610
How Nintendo 2DS compares in size to a 3DS XL and 3DS.

How Does It Compare To 3DS and 3DS XL?
The 2DS is seemingly a 3DS in a different case. The screens are the same size as the standard 3DS, rather than the size of the 3DS XL.

The 2DS is slightly wider than the 3DS but the lack of a hinge means that it's not as tall.

In terms of depth, the 2DS's wedge format means that while the bottom edge is a similar depth to the bottom screen of the 3DS, the top edge is a similar depth to a closed 3DS.

There is a now a Sleep slider to make up for the lack of a clamshell shutting mechanism. The twin speakers from the 3DS and 3DS XL are gone. In their place is one mono speaker. However, stereo sound is available via headphones.

Does The 2DS Still Play DS Games?

Yes.

Does The Lack Of 3D Matter?
This is a personal thing. I always switch the 3D off when I play 3DS games. Initially I loved the 3D aspect, but these days, I don't even use it. I honestly don't feel that it adds anything... which is massively ironic given the system's name.

I should point out that, while the 2DS's top screen is not 3D, you can still take photos which can be viewed in 3D when they're transferred to a 3DS.

How Does The 2DS Feel?
It feels really nice actually. For people used to the larger XL screens it's a bit strange going back to smaller screens but you soon get used to it again. The matte treatment is welcome and the design itself is pretty cool.

The curved upper corners make the shoulder buttons really comfortable to use and while the D-Pad and buttons do seem to be slightly cheaper versions of what we've seen, they're still of better quality than many others.

2DS: The Verdict

I wouldn't want to make sweeping conclusions based on a short hands-on session but I think the 2DS is going to do really well for Nintendo.

It's available at a mass market price and boasts a really pleasing design. It's the machine that will sway parents into moving on from the DS generation.

Personally, as a hardcore gamer, I find myself in a bit of a dilemma. I love my 3DS XL. I love the bigger screens and the design. I will never go back to a standard 3DS. But the Red & White 2DS is something that I've convinced myself I need. I don't even known why. It just looks great and I need it in my life. Damn you Nintendo!!!
Back to top Go down
Serial
World Champion
World Champion
Serial

Male
Number of posts : 2062
Job/hobbies : At home, drawing pictures of mountain tops.
Favorite WWE Wrestler : CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Santino Marella, The Shield.
Favorite WWE Diva : AJ, Summer Rae, Rosa Mendes, Paige.
Favorite TNA Wrestler : AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe, TJ Perkins.
Favorite TNA Knockout : Taryn Terrell, Velvet Sky, Brooke Tessmacher, Christy Hemme.
Registration date : 2010-12-23

Nintendo 2DS: Hands-On Impressions + Comparisons [Pics] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nintendo 2DS: Hands-On Impressions + Comparisons [Pics]   Nintendo 2DS: Hands-On Impressions + Comparisons [Pics] EmptyThu 29 Aug 2013, 1:00 am

They should have put the 2DS on a different menu. That white menu makes it look like it isn't as bright as the 3DS systems.

I really don't care for the 3D aspect of the 3DS so this might be something that appeals to me. I saw that it would sell in the states for $130, if that's true, then it could definitely be worth the risk of buying Nintendo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dafk.net/what/

Nintendo 2DS: Hands-On Impressions + Comparisons [Pics]
Page 1 of 1