With both The Purge: Anarchy (read my review) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles hitting screens within two weeks of each other, Platinum Dunes producer Brad Fuller has a lot on his plate but took some time out of his schedule earlier this week to speak with us about a few of his companies projects. Our full interview with him will be hitting tomorrow, but first we wanted to clear up some stuff concerning the upcoming Friday the 13th film, which is due in theaters November 13th, 2015.
Let’s get it out of the way. I’m a huge fan of the 2009 reboot. Last month I went on the record by saying, “for those of you who think that the most recent entry is cynical, I actually don’t think it is so much. Remember, the studio had zero respect for the franchise during its first incarnation, these were turn and burn gigs that people were turning down left and right because there was no money and the powers that be insisted on unrealistic schedules to keep the money flowing in. I’d argue that the folks behind the 2009 version actually cared more about the quality of the film than most of the people involved in the original sequels (especially later on).” While I don’t love all the rumors that have been circulating, the goodwill from the 2009 entry alone has me very much in an optimistic wait and see mode.
And Fuller’s quotes today only help that:
What’s the status of the 2015 Friday the 13th? We’ve heard found footage and we’ve heard 3D. Have either of those shifted?
“I can’t make any determination about found footage or 3D until we have a story that we all agree on and that we all like. The story is the most important thing and the way you tell the story, to me, is secondary. We have some writers writing but, because we don’t have a script that everyone has signed off on, I can’t speak to how the story is meant to be told. All of those things have been considered. But no decisions have been made. We don’t know what story is being told.”