Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top 5 Worst Title Changes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dead
The Sports Guy
Dead

Male
Number of posts : 31046
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Top 5 Worst Title Changes  Empty
PostSubject: Top 5 Worst Title Changes    Top 5 Worst Title Changes  EmptyMon 29 Apr 2013, 3:12 pm

Quote :
Ryan Byers
5. Punk, Swagger, & Miz's MITB Cash-Ins - I'm so sick of the Money in the Bank gimmick. First off, WWE has given up on coming up with original ways to play off of it. Worse than that, though, is the fact that they don't even book the one MITB cash-in storyline they've managed to come up with effectively . . . and that's why I've lumped the original cash-in title wins of CM Punk, Jack Swagger, and Mike the Miz together for my number five entry. WWE gives the briefcase to a midcard guy, and you'd think it could elevate them, right? Wrong. First off, they tend to job the guy out for several months between his briefcase win and his title win. Then they book the actual cash-in to be the cheapest win imaginable. Then they don't even bother to book the guy strong AFTER the cash-in, so, even though he's a titleholder, he hasn't actually been elevated in any appreciable way. So, what we've gotten is a run of impotent guys with belts who barely qualify as champions. Can we PLEASE get rid of this briefcase gimmick already?

4. Abyss Wins NWA Title by DQ - One of the big themes of this list is that I loathe situations in which people backdoor their way into major championships. (And, yes, I consider MITB "backdooring" your way into the title.) When TNA established that its rules included changing titles on count out or disqualification, I thought it was a good idea so long as they never actually changed the title that way. See, if you've got the rule in place, it at least implicitly tells fans that you're not going to have cheap DQ or count out finishes in championship matches, which helps the promotion gain a degree of credibility. However, as soon as you actually change the title by DQ or count out, you shoot yourself in the foot because then you've got a finish that is infinitely lamer than a champion retaining on DQ or count out. Not only did TNA screw up by putting the title on Abyss via DQ, they put it on him via DQ in the worst way imaginable, by having Sting hogtie him and beat him with a baseball bat. So, immediately, everybody's first impression of the new champion is him getting his ass beat. Brilliant.

3. David Arquette Wins the WCW Title - This has been written about time and time again over the past decade, so I don't know what I can say that will add to the story. You don't need to tell me it was an all-time lousy idea. You know that. I watched the episode of Thunder that included this match when it very first aired on television, and, as soon as the main event was announced, I felt this rock forming in my stomach because the "guy who gets the pin gets the title" stipulation for the Jarrett/Bischoff vs. Page/Arquette tag team match was announced in an ambiguous enough way that you suspected they might do something cutesy with it. Unfortunately, they did the cutsiest (and therefore worst) angle possible, and it is now memorialized as one of the poorest booking decisions in wrestling history. Plus, as a result of Arquette's win, our ears were assaulted by the brutal cover of "We're Not Gonna Take It" that served as his entrance music. Playing that song after having a 90-pound actor win the world heavyweight title is just kicking a wrestling fan while he's down.

2. Vince Russo Wins the WCW Title - People complain about David Arquette winning the WCW A LOT. Far fewer people mention Vince f'ing Russo winning the WCW Title when they go over asinine booking moves made by the company. Despite this fact, I think that Russo getting the championship was actually the worse decision. There are a few reasons for that. First, when he won the title, at least Arquette managed to hit an offensive move on an opponent and pin him. Russo was speared out of the door in a steel cage match by Goldberg, so, much like Abyss, he won the title by getting his ass handed to him. Second, as much as it pains me to admit this, I can to a degree understand why WCW would put the title on Arquette. He was a fairly popular actor at the time, and they were looking for a mainstream publicity rub. Russo, however, barely meant anything to wrestling fans, so I don't know how he could have meant anything to non-wrestling fans. Finally, while Arquette was fairly humble (almost embarrassed, it seems) by his title win and is obviously still a huge fan, Russo throughout his life has been creative poison that ruined what could have been many good years of wrestling in different companies. Let's just say I can see Jim Cornette's problem with this guy.

1. Dolph Ziggler's FIRST World Title Reign - No, I'm not talking about his Money in the Bank cash-in, though I'm not really a fan of it either. I'm talking about Dolph holding the big gold belt in 2011. Edge actually beat him in a championship match, but Vickie Guerrero through general manager wackiness stripped the title from Edge after the show went off the air and subsequently awarded it to Ziggler. The worst part is that this didn't even happen on the same show as the Edge/Ziggler match . . . it happened after the fact, so Dolph didn't even get a "moment" where he won the belt, no matter how lame that moment would have been when it occurred. Instead, we got this week long period, including an episode of Monday Night Raw, where the championship was in this weird limbo and it was never even made entirely clear as to whether Ziggler was or was not the champion. He was "officially" declared champ on the following episode of Smackdown, and he lost the title roughly ten minutes later in a rematch with Edge. This accomplished literally not one thing. Much like Andre the Giant's WWF Title reign, this is one of those situations where the championship's legacy is diluted by a cheapy title change and it's even more frustrating because there were very simple ways to do virtually the exact same angle without doing the quick title change and devaluing the strap.

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/columns/281723

you can find more on the link
Back to top Go down
Bone Breaker
The Lethal Weapon of WD
Bone Breaker

Male
Number of posts : 3731
Job/hobbies : MMA (im a 5th Degree Black Belt)
Favorite WWE Wrestler : #1 Stone Cold Steve Austin
#2 CM Punk
#3 Dean Ambrose
#4 Daniel Bryan
#5 Doph Ziggler
Favorite WWE Diva : #1 Trish Stratus(Soooooo Hot)
#2 Lita
#3 Mickie James
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Austin Aries
Bobby Roode
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Worst Title Changes    Top 5 Worst Title Changes  EmptyFri 24 May 2013, 6:00 pm

why dont you like dolph having the belt now?
Back to top Go down
Did You Miss Her?
Hall Of Famer
Did You Miss Her?

Male
Number of posts : 9685
Job/hobbies : Stroking Zachary Quinto's Ego....
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, Santino, Edge, Christian, Cody Rhodes, Randy Orton, Sheamus, & CM Punk.
Favorite WWE Diva : Melina, Beth Phoenix, Layla, Alicia Fox, & Gail Kim.
Favorite TNA Wrestler : Daniels, MCMGs, Crimson, Amazing Redd, Eric Young, Matt Morgan, Kurt Angle, & Generation Me.
Favorite TNA Knockout : Winter, Brooke Tessmacher, Mickie James, Madison Rayne, & Angelina Love.
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Worst Title Changes    Top 5 Worst Title Changes  EmptyFri 24 May 2013, 11:41 pm

Debra beating Sable was the WORST in my book!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Worst Title Changes    Top 5 Worst Title Changes  Empty

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Worst Title Changes
Page 1 of 1