Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Paying for ingame cutscenes?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dead
The Sports Guy
Dead

Male
Number of posts : 31046
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Paying for ingame cutscenes? Empty
PostSubject: Paying for ingame cutscenes?   Paying for ingame cutscenes? EmptyTue 21 Sep 2010, 8:41 pm

The idea first popped into Kotick's head when he saw the quality of cut-scenes in Blizzard's StarCraft II.

"If we were to take that hour, or hour an a half, and take it out of the game and we were to go to our audiences, who we have their credit card information a direct relationship, and say to them 'Would you like to have the StarCraft movie?'" he told the America Merrill Lynch Media, comms and Entertainment conference.

"My guess is unlike film studios that are really stuck with a model that goes through theatrical distribution and takes a signification amount of the profit away, if we were to go to an audience and say 'We have this great hour and a half of linear video that we'd like to make available to you at a $20 or $30 price point,' you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever.

"Within the next five years, you are likely to see us do that. It might be in a partnership with somebody or alone, but there will be a time where we'll capitalize on the relationship we have with our audience; deliver them something that is really extraordinary and let them consume it directly through us instead of theatrical distribution.

"If we were to deliver a film digitally this way, I'd say an extremely high percentage would then go to the theatre and watch it again."
Back to top Go down

Paying for ingame cutscenes?
Page 1 of 1