Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Maria Kanellis Talks About Working For WWE, Her WWE Release, Declining TNA, Divas Leaving Etc

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
King Silva
King of Kings
King Silva

Male
Number of posts : 32652
Favorite WWE Wrestler : ---
Current and Former:
The Rock, JoMo, Ziggler, Edge, Orton, Y2J, Hardyz, + Rhodes!
Favorite WWE Diva : -------
ALL TIME
# 1} Lita
# 2} Trish Stratus
# 3} Mickie James
# 4} Gail Kim
# 5} Michelle McCool

Favorite TNA Wrestler : ----

Favorite TNA Knockout : ---
Registration date : 2009-09-30

Maria Kanellis Talks About Working For WWE, Her WWE Release, Declining TNA, Divas Leaving Etc Empty
PostSubject: Maria Kanellis Talks About Working For WWE, Her WWE Release, Declining TNA, Divas Leaving Etc   Maria Kanellis Talks About Working For WWE, Her WWE Release, Declining TNA, Divas Leaving Etc EmptyWed 11 Jul 2012, 7:12 pm

Maria Kanellis Talks About Working For WWE, Her WWE Release, Declining TNA, Divas Leaving Etc Maria-kanellis

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2012/0710/554201/maria-kanellis-interview/

Raj Giri of WrestlingINC.com recently interviewed the "First Lady of ROH" Maria Kanellis. In part one of the interview below, Kanellis discussed getting her break in the business, working for WWE, her WWE release and more.

Make sure to check back tomorrow for our second part of our interview, where Kanellis discusses signing with ROH, turning down TNA, problems in WWE and much more.

WrestlingINC: You started off your career with the Diva Search, how did that come about?
Maria Kanellis: I was watching Monday Night Raw and they were advertising for it. [Laughs.] Honestly, everybody asks me this question and everybody thinks that I just came from a model search. But, me and Michelle McCool were the only two that self-entered online -- not from an agency -- we just loved wrestling. So, I entered online and I made it to the next round. The only reason I knew I made it to the next round before they told me a week after was that I saw my picture on Monday Night Raw when I was watching the show.

WrestlingINC: Had you been a wrestling fan for a long time before that?
Maria: Yeah, I've been a wrestling fan. I probably got back into it when I was 16, 17. But I was a wrestling fan since I was a little girl. I used to watch it with my dad and my brother.

WrestlingINC: Who were some of your favorites growing up?

Maria: I loved 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper. I love the guys that can talk. I'm a big fan of The Rock, but I'm also a fan of Coach. I just thought Johnathan Coachman did such a great job -- every single time he was there with somebody, he just really brought out the personality of anybody he was interviewing.

WrestlingINC: When you got the call, what was that like having been a fan and getting that opportunity?
Maria: It was insane. The most insane thing in the world. I was screaming and jumping up and down. At the time, I was in Louisville, Kentucky, coming back from living in my car down in Miami, Florida. So, you can only imagine how I was feeling going from living in my car down in Miami, Florida to coming back to Louisville, Kentucky. I just had done "Outback Jack," which was a reality show, and I got the call to do World Wrestling Entertainment. It was insane.

WrestlingINC: After the Diva Search, you went to OVW. What was that experience like?
Maria: It was two and a half years that I was down in Ohio Valley Wrestling. It's been a big part of my life now in the sense that I love that period of my life so much. It was like my college years. I didn't go to college other than here and there in my failed attempts to go to school. So, Ohio Valley Wrestling was my college years.

WrestlingINC: So, you started your run in WWE in 2005, can you describe that run?
Maria: Oh, my gosh. It was a mix of everything. I was 22-years-old, I never experienced anything like that in my entire life. The first time I was on live television, was the first time I'd ever been in front of a live crowd that size. Just getting over that in itself was insane. I didn't come from the independents, so wrestling was all new to me. I was training down in Ohio Valley Wrestling at the same time I was on the road. I was training with Fit Finley.

I didn't get as much time in the ring as I would have liked. It's funny, because now I'm getting more time in the ring then I ever did when I was in WWE. I'm learning a whole lot more. But, it was insane. It was wonderful, it was one of the greatest experiences in my life. I considered WWE my family for a long time. They gave me my start, really.

WrestlingINC: You were involved in a lot of high profile angles and matches during that time.
Maria: I didn't have the craziest matches in the ring, but I certainly got to work with some of the best. I got to work with Ric Flair. I got to work with John Cena when he was just coming into his own. I got to work with Santino when that character was just started. I got to be in the ring with Umaga, Orton, Carlito. It was insane. Insane times.

WrestlingINC: What was it like being at your first WrestleMania at WrestleMania XXIV?
Maria: That was insane. Ashley Massaro showed up so late that day, she was sick. So, I was flipping out. It was tremendous. But I watch that match back now, and I'm like, 'Oh, my gosh. I could have done so much better. Please, just let me have that moment back because I would kill it now.' Compared to the person I was then to now -- it's like night and day! [Laughs]

It was great for what it was, but I wish I could have that moment back because this time around, I would do something completely different with that match.

WrestlingINC: What were some of your most memorable memories from your WWE run?
Maria: Winning the [Diva of the Year Slammy] award was amazing. I would definitely say when Michelle McCool first started becoming a bad guy -- oh, my gosh, it was after the match and she just kicked the crap out of me. That was amazing. Michelle is one of the greatest workers ever but no one got to see it because we just didn't have enough time.

Definitely working with Santino -- oh, my gosh. It was just getting funnier and funnier every single week. Ric Flair bumping off a kiss. Wow! That was definitely something. When I did Playboy. I was getting pyro when I was coming out. One of my favorite matches was against Natalya, it was my last singles match on TV. Working with Victoria, oh, my gosh, she is just amazing. When I came back after two years of being out of the wrestling ring, that was the only person I wanted to work with. [Laughs.]

WrestlingINC: How did you get the gig on Celebrity Apprentice? Was that through WWE or did they contact you?

Maria: No, I did that myself. They like to claim it. I walked up to Donald Trump and said, 'I want to be on your show.' He said, 'You want to be on my show, Celebrity Apprentice?' And I said, 'Yes, I do.' I continued to calling every single day until I got an interview. Then, from there, they gave me the interview and I heard nothing for months. I continued e-mailing every single day saying, 'I want this job. I'm going to be on this show.' They let me have it and I did it.

WrestlingINC: Do you think there was heat on you for doing it on your own?
Maria: You know what? If there was, I don't care. If they were paying me millions and millions of dollars, that'd be one thing, but they weren't. So, for me, as great as WWE is and I love them and adore them for everything they did for me, at the same time, I didn't make enough money to support me and whatever family I have in the future. So, I had to start making decisions for myself.

WrestlingINC: So, when you made that decision and you told them, what was their reaction?

Maria: Oh, they loved it because they love Donald Trump. If it was any other show, they probably would have been upset but they love Donald Trump.

WrestlingINC: You did great on that show. Do you feel like you helped the company out since you represented the business so well. I think a lot of people that don't watch wrestling have a certain stereotype of what wrestlers are like. I think you kind of shattered that stereotype when you were on that show. Do you think you got any appreciation for that?
Maria: I got no appreciation for it whatsoever. I went on that show completely -- this was not who anybody expected me to be. I have old ladies in supermarkets grabbing my arm after I had done the show and saying, 'Oh, my gosh. I loved you so much on it. You were so good, you were so smart.' They've never seen wrestling before, they just saw me on Celebrity Apprentice. Which was being seen by 10 million people per week.

So, when it came to them giving me my new contract and I didn't want to sign it -- I wanted my lawyer to look over it -- WWE just did not see me as a smart girl. They saw me as a stupid girl and they wanted me to be a stupid girl. When I broke that and I changed into the person that I actually am, they hated it. That's when I got that phone call on Saturday.

WrestlingINC: Did you have any idea that they were probably going to release you? You had just started an angle with Matt Hardy, so it seemed very out of the blue.

Maria: It was out of the blue. My discussion with John Laurinaitis went like this: 'Are you going to sign the contract?' It was the same contract that I signed when I was 22-years-old and had never been on television before. Everybody gets a raise, even a bus girl. They had given me a raise, but because I didn't sign it right away, they took that contract from me and gave me a different contract. The contract was exactly the same as when I started.

So, I said, 'No, I'm not going to sign that contract. And yes, I want my lawyer to look at it.' I knew that they were probably going to release me. But, see, that's the thing: If I was a guy, that wouldn't have happened. But, because I was a girl that stood up for what I believed in and I'm not going to be caught in a hot tub with the office and I'm not going to be caught being shady -- but I will be there working every single day, I will be doing every single media thing and I will go on Celebrity Apprentice and do a good job -- because I'm that kind of girl, they didn't want to re-sign me.

Ring of Honor First Lady Maria Kanellis has revealed that she turned down an opportunity to work for TNA.

The former WWE Diva, who can be seen with real-life boyfriend Mike Bennett on ROH television, tells WrestlingInc.com: “They have approached me, but I love my spot at Ring of Honor. I can’t imagine leaving.”

Kanellis continues: “I just said, ‘Not at this time’. You never know what the future holds but just not at this time.”

The former Playboy covergirl also heralded current TNA star Tara, real name Lisa Marie Varon, as one of the “greatest female wrestlers of all time”.

Kanellis says of Varon: “Right now, she is the best that is out there. The only people that I probably could compare her to is Sara Del Rey and Beth Phoenix. Those are the only other two that I think are on that level of amazingness. But, I don’t watch the show very often.”

http://www.diva-dirt.com/2012/07/11/maria-kanellis-says-she-turned-down-tna-praises-tara/

---------------------

Former WWE Diva and current Ring of Honor star Maria Kanellis has commented on the large number of WWE Divas who have chosen to leave the company and pursue other passions.

In recent years, we’ve seen a growing number of women opt to walk away from the company including Michelle McCool, Gail Kim, the Bella Twins and more.

Speaking to WrestlingInc.com, Maria says she feels that women in WWE are realizing the restrictions imposed on the Divas and are looking to fulfill their passions elsewhere.

She says:

After I left, it was me and then it was Mickie [James]. Soon after Mickie, it was Michelle and she left on her own. Then, soon after than, it was Melina and then Jillian. Maryse just recently left. Then it was the Bella Twins. Gail Kim — oh, my gosh. Maxine… I didn’t really know her I was really there. And, I think that every one of the girls that I’ve mentioned had something else in their life that made them realize that since WWE wasn’t going to allow them the time or the place to do something that they’re passionate about, they were going to go out and fulfill that passion elsewhere.

Mickie had music. Jillian had recently gotten married. Michelle got married. Melina got released, but you go down the list — The Bella Twins have all these opportunities in acting. Maryse has modeling, she been a huge star in Canada. But, you go down the list and WWE could have used all these talents that these girls have and make their product even better. But, they want to ignore that these women are tremendous and can be tremendously successful and use their mainstream impact within the company. I find that extremely stupid.

Who in their right mind does not use the extra eyes that could be on these girls within their own company? It’s an ego trip and I am not a fan of ego trips.

Maria also adds that she feels AJ, who has been in the main event spotlight on Raw recently, has done a “tremendous job”.

Kanellis says she hopes that what “they do with AJ is the same thing they continue to do in the future with other girls.”

Diva-Dirts Thoughts [about her talking about divas leaving]: I definitely agree with Maria here. With Maxine‘s recent departure adding to the mix, it seems like a lot of women are taking their careers into their own hands after realizing the grass isn’t always greener just because you have a WWE contract. Frankly, I applaud those women for taking the risk. Even women who were fired rather than leaving on their own accord seem to be happy in hindsight — such as Maria.

-----------------------

What do you think of what she had to say?
Back to top Go down
Shimmer Mark
World Champion
World Champion
Shimmer Mark

Male
Number of posts : 2263
Job/hobbies : Banking
Favorite WWE Wrestler : Antonio Cesaro, Justin Gabriel, Evan Bourne
Favorite WWE Diva : AJ, Natalya, Paige
Favorite TNA Wrestler : AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels
Favorite TNA Knockout : Gail Kim
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Maria Kanellis Talks About Working For WWE, Her WWE Release, Declining TNA, Divas Leaving Etc Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maria Kanellis Talks About Working For WWE, Her WWE Release, Declining TNA, Divas Leaving Etc   Maria Kanellis Talks About Working For WWE, Her WWE Release, Declining TNA, Divas Leaving Etc EmptyWed 11 Jul 2012, 9:29 pm

I think it was a really really good interview. She really seems down to earth. She seems like she really knows that she wasn't the best wrestler and she really doesn't put off the vibe that was stuck up about her time in WWE. I really like that she is know working for Family Wrestling Entertainment (I think) as the booker for the women's division. Good luck to her going forward.
Back to top Go down

Maria Kanellis Talks About Working For WWE, Her WWE Release, Declining TNA, Divas Leaving Etc
Page 1 of 1