Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Television Critics Association Awards go to 'Breaking Bad,' 'Cheers,' 'Game of Thrones,' 'Downton Abbey' + More

Go down 
AuthorMessage
King Silva
King of Kings
King Silva

Male
Number of posts : 32652
Favorite WWE Wrestler : ---
Current and Former:
The Rock, JoMo, Ziggler, Edge, Orton, Y2J, Hardyz, + Rhodes!
Favorite WWE Diva : -------
ALL TIME
# 1} Lita
# 2} Trish Stratus
# 3} Mickie James
# 4} Gail Kim
# 5} Michelle McCool

Favorite TNA Wrestler : ----

Favorite TNA Knockout : ---
Registration date : 2009-09-30

Television Critics Association Awards go to 'Breaking Bad,' 'Cheers,' 'Game of Thrones,' 'Downton Abbey' + More Empty
PostSubject: Television Critics Association Awards go to 'Breaking Bad,' 'Cheers,' 'Game of Thrones,' 'Downton Abbey' + More   Television Critics Association Awards go to 'Breaking Bad,' 'Cheers,' 'Game of Thrones,' 'Downton Abbey' + More EmptySun 29 Jul 2012, 2:29 am

Television Critics Association Awards go to 'Breaking Bad,' 'Cheers,' 'Game of Thrones,' 'Downton Abbey' + More Breaking-bad_320

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2012/07/29/tca-awards-television-critics-breaking-bad-game-of-thrones/

The Television Critics Association awards were announced on Saturday night. The nation’s TV critics gave awards to Louie for best comedy, Breaking Bad for best drama; the “Program of the Year” award went to Game of Thrones. The event was hosted by Bad‘s Bryan Cranston.

Cranston’s opening remarks were rife with delightful barbs to warm all cold critics’ hearts. I’ll keep them to one printable example: “The cast of The Killing couldn’t be here tonight,” he said. “They’re on suicide watch.”

The TCA, now meeting in Los Angeles and representing more than 200 print and online critics, gave a “career achievement” award to David Letterman (in a taped message, Letterman sent his not-at-all sorrowful regrets for not being present, but explained, “as my friends know, tonight is the night I eat glass”), and its annual “Heritage Award” to the classic sitcom Cheers. All well and good. But since I’m a voting member of the TCA, I feel I can insert my own opinion here to say to my colleagues… So You Think You Can Dance as “Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming”? Really, critics? I, too, adore Cat Deeley and all, but, sheesh… Also sheesh-worthy: 60 Minutes as winner for the “news and information” category. I end up watching a bit of 60 Minutes many weeks while looking to see if The Good Wife is going to be delayed by some %$#@ football-game overtime, and I can’t say I’ve received any “news and information” from this program that I hadn’t already heard elsewhere; this is not exactly the Golden Age of 60 Minutes.

But back to the good news. Claire Danes and Louie C.K. won for “achievement in drama and comedy,” respectively, and Danes’ Homeland took an award for “Outstanding New Program.” Downton Abbey took the movie/miniseries category (thank goodness, otherwise American Horror Story, now deemed a miniseries by bollixed Emmy rules, might have had a shot.)

The “Career Achievement” award was given to David Letterman, as worthy a candidate for this as anyone, and given for “influence in late-night television.” By that criteria, Letterman is the perfect choice, since his influence can be seen right now in the shows hosted by Craig Ferguson, Jimmy Kimmel (who just yesterday told a TCA panel once again how much he idolized Letterman and his early, NBC shows), and Jimmy Fallon.

Overall, the Television Critics Association award choices are — again, speaking as an interested party as a member — at once mostly worthy if a tad predictable. But if that means giving one more extra boost to Breaking Bad, Louie, and Homeland, I’m proud to be among the predictability-promulgators.

The full list of 2012 TCA Award nominees and recipients is as follows:

Individual Achievement in Drama

Bryan Cranston (“Breaking Bad,” AMC)
Claire Danes (“Homeland,” Showtime)
Peter Dinklage (“Game of Thrones,” HBO)
Jon Hamm (“Mad Men,” AMC)
Jessica Lange (“American Horror Story,” FX)

Individual Achievement in Comedy
Louis C.K. (“Louie,” FX)

Lena Dunham (“Girls,” HBO)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus (“Veep,” HBO)
Jim Parsons (“The Big Bang Theory,” CBS)
Amy Poehler (“Parks and Recreation,” NBC)

Outstanding Achievement in News and Information

“Anderson Cooper 360” (CNN)
“The Daily Show” (Comedy Central)
“Frontline” (PBS)
“60 Minutes” (CBS)

“The Rachel Maddow Show” (MSNBC)

Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming
“The Amazing Race” (CBS)
“Dancing with the Stars” (ABC)
“The Glee Project” (Oxygen)
“So You Think You Can Dance” (Fox)
“The Voice” (NBC)

Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming
“iCarly” (Nickelodeon)
“Phineas and Ferb” (Disney)
“Sesame Street” (PBS)
“Switched at Birth” (ABC Family)
“Yo Gabba Gabba” (Nick Jr.)

Outstanding New Program

“Girls” (HBO)
“Homeland” (Showtime)
“New Girl” (Fox)
“Revenge” (ABC)
“Smash” (NBC)

Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials
“Downton Abbey: Masterpiece” (PBS)
“Game Change” (HBO)
“Hatfields & McCoys” (History)
“Hemingway & Gellhorn” (HBO)
“Sherlock: Masterpiece” (PBS)

Outstanding Achievement in Drama
“Breaking Bad” (AMC)

“Game of Thrones” (HBO)
“Homeland” (Showtime)
“Justified” (FX)
“Mad Men” (AMC)

Outstanding Achievement in Comedy
“The Big Bang Theory” (CBS)
“Community” (NBC)
“Louie” (FX)
“Modern Family” (ABC)
“Parks and Recreation” (NBC)

Career Achievement Award
Dick Clark
Andy Griffith
David Letterman
Regis Philbin
William Shatner

Heritage Award
“Cheers” (NBC)

“Lost” (ABC)
“Saturday Night Live” (NBC)
“Star Trek” (NBC)
“Twin Peaks” (ABC)

Program of the Year

“Breaking Bad” (AMC)
“Game of Thrones” (HBO)
“Homeland” (Showtime)
“Mad Men” (AMC)
“Downton Abbey: Masterpiece” (PBS)

-----------------

What do you think of the TCA award choices?
Back to top Go down

Television Critics Association Awards go to 'Breaking Bad,' 'Cheers,' 'Game of Thrones,' 'Downton Abbey' + More
Page 1 of 1