Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which Supporting Actor/Actress Oscar Winner Was the Most Undeserving?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
King Silva
King of Kings
King Silva

Male
Number of posts : 32652
Favorite WWE Wrestler : ---
Current and Former:
The Rock, JoMo, Ziggler, Edge, Orton, Y2J, Hardyz, + Rhodes!
Favorite WWE Diva : -------
ALL TIME
# 1} Lita
# 2} Trish Stratus
# 3} Mickie James
# 4} Gail Kim
# 5} Michelle McCool

Favorite TNA Wrestler : ----

Favorite TNA Knockout : ---
Registration date : 2009-09-30

Which Supporting Actor/Actress Oscar Winner Was the Most Undeserving? Empty
PostSubject: Which Supporting Actor/Actress Oscar Winner Was the Most Undeserving?   Which Supporting Actor/Actress Oscar Winner Was the Most Undeserving? EmptySat 23 Jun 2012, 1:06 am

Which Supporting Actor/Actress Oscar Winner Was the Most Undeserving? Screen%20Shot%202012-06-19%20at%209_55_18%20AM

http://www.goldderby.com/films/news/3005/academy-awards-oscars-film-news-1357908.html

For every Oscar winner who receives a standing ovation, there is another who leaves people puzzled as to how they prevailed. Our forum posters have already dished the worst Best Supporting Actress winner and now turn their attention to Supporting Actor.

Below, just a sample of their thoughts. Join in with your opinion as to which winner was the biggest loser.

Anthony

This one was hard, but I came upon my decision in the following way. Alan Arkin may not have been the best Supporting Actor in the movie, but he was still an important fixture to the story. Cuba Gooding, Jr. should definitely give his Oscar back but I didn't vote for him because he was, at least, a little humorous and entertaining. Michael Caine wasn't bad, but his competition was stronger. Christian Bale being on the list surprises me but I am indifferent on him winning. Tim Robbins is probably the only one on the list that I actually felt was a deserving win, though I am not passionate about his performance. I think Tommy Lee Jones was good in "The Fugitive" and it was a solid and even entertaining performance but the fact that it gained traction with some critics and won the Globe and Oscar is baffling. He deserved it more for "JFK" two years earlier.

I voted for George Clooney. The only reason he won was because he wasn't going to win Director or Screenplay for "Goodnight, and Good Luck" (I honestly would have given him Screenplay) so this was a consolation prize and he even mentioned that in his speech to some degree! His work was not even memorable, same with the film .. .I remember him being tortured at some point but that is it. I don't see any merit in it other than it was a "we don't want you to go home empty-handed" win.

Baby Clyde

I can't remember the exact quote but Humphrey Bogart once said of Betty Hutton that she wasn't a very good actress because you could see the cogs working, which is exactly how I felt about Tim Robbins' terrible performance in "Mystic River." It was the most unnatural bit of acting I've seen in ages, which is weird because he's a perfectly capable actor who was absolutely wretched in an otherwise great film. Stumbling about, mumbling to himself begging for an Oscar it was just embarrassing. Having said that none of the other noms were particular stand outs. Michael Caine was also terrible in "Cider House Rules." He only has one act which he's been pedalling for nearly 50 years. God know how he has one Oscar nevermind two??? He's an easy fifth for me in '99 behind even Tom Cruise who I loathe with a passion in everything he's ever done. Jude Law or Hayley Joel Osment should have won. Tommy Lee Jones was obviously a ridiculous win but there's nothing wrong with the actual performance. His beating Leonardo DiCaprio and Ralph Fiennes though was preposterous.

Snidely Whiplash

A choice between Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Christian Bale? Who can decide between those two shameless hams which was the less subtle performance? As for George Chakiris, that Oscar should have gone to Montgomery Clift. But George had great hair and very sexy dance moves, so let's give credit where credit is due.

A Person

Robbins should give his to Benicio del Toro or Alec Baldwin;

Gooding, Jr should give his to William H. Macy even though Macy belonged in Lead;
Jones should give his to Ralph Fiennes (Leo or Pete Postlethwaite would also be more deserving); Caine should give his to Tom Cruise, Haley Joel Osment or Jude Law; and
Clooney should give his to Jake Gyllenhaal.

------------------------

Which Supporting Actor/Actress Oscar Winner Was the Most Undeserving? Screen%20Shot%202012-06-18%20at%208_28_55%20AM

For every acting winner at the Academy Awards, there are four losers. While some victories are universally acclaimed, even meriting standing ovations, others are real head-scratchers. Our forum posters have been buzzing about which Supporting Actress Oscar champ was most undeserving.

Below, just a sample of their thoughts. Join in with your opinion as to which winner was the biggest loser.

MadsonMelo

Kim Basinger had a terrible carreer prior to "L.A. Confidential" and, for me, did nothing special in that great movie, she and Minnie Driver were the weakest in that category, I think Julianne Moore should have won, or they could have given that prize to Miss Gloria Stuart, she did a really great job in "Titanic."

Judi Dench simply won because of her name, movie and the loss a year before, she was good in "Shakespeare in Love," but Rachel Griffiths and Lynn Redgrave were miles better, the last scene of Redgrave should've sealed the deal, superb!! Dench won in a year where Lisa Kudrow (amazing in "The Opposite of Sex") wasn't even nominated. Winner should have been Redgrave in "Gods and Monsters."

Mira Sorvino isn't a good actress, imo. Her performance was awesome, but clearly the majority of the greatness belongs to Allen's character and direction, Sorvino couldn't handle a candle against Kate Winslet and Joan Allen, two of the greatest supporting performance of the 90's. Winner should had been Winslet in "Sense and Sensibility."

I like Renée Zellweger from "Jerry Maguire" to "Chicago." Beyond this she isn't just not good anymore. Her performance in "Cold Mountain" is one of the few that I consider BAD and that won an Oscar at the same time (the same group I put George Chakiris in "West Side Story" and Roberto Begnini in "Life is Beautiful"). Even if I think Holly Hunter wasn't a great nominee and Marcia Gay Harden should have been replaced with Laura Linney from the same movie, Shohreh Aghdashloo and Patricia Clarkson were incredible, Zellweger in Cold Mountain is over and incredibly fake as a farmer, too much exagerated and too many faces for a great character. Winner should had been Agdashloo in "House of Sand and Fog."

A Person

Kim Basinger should give hers to Julianne Moore
Jennifer Connelly should give hers to Marisa Tomei or Helen Mirren.
Judi Dench should give hers to Lynn Redgrave
Melissa Leo should give hers to Jacki Weaver.
Renee Zellweger should give hers to Shohreh Ahgadashloo.

Miss Frost

I completely forgot about Beatrice Straight. My god was she an awful winner and needs her Oscar revoked immediately. Its ridiculous that she won for a forgettable five-minute performance over more deserving and iconic performances given by Jodie Foster and Piper Laurie. In fact Jodie wouldn't have won over the better competition in 1988 had she won supporting actress in 1976.

BabyClyde

I don't think Jennifer Connelly is bad as much as she just has absolutely nothing to do and does it entirely unmemorably. The single thing that I can recall about her whole performance is that she had that ridiculous 'Elizabeth Taylor in Giant' aging technique where they just put talc in her hair to show that years have passed.

Renee was appalling in "Cold Mountain" but at least she gave a 'performance' even if it was a wildly hammy and inappropriate one.

-----------------------

These are just people who keep up with awards opinions.

What do you think about past Supporting Actor/Actress Oscar winners?

Do you feel any were undeserving?
Back to top Go down

Which Supporting Actor/Actress Oscar Winner Was the Most Undeserving?
Page 1 of 1